Trusted Contributor

We have an older gentleman that lives next door. When we see him we take a minute to see how he is doing which usually turns into half a hour or so, but that's alright. We have learned a lot about him and his life. 

At age 17 he left high school to join the Marines. Went to Korea and Vietnam. 

Last summer at age 70 he retired from being a long distance truck driver, and decided to look for a part time job to help with the finances. He went to a job fair and nobody would heir him because he didn't have a high school diploma. He ended up working nights as a security guard. 

Well last night as I going out to get the mail, he was leaving to go to work and we chatted for a bit.

Honored Contributor

That someone thinks a 70 year old is "older" and thinks it's surprising to work at 70....makes me smile...lol    We're all living longer and healthier.  

Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree.  I justed commented about "antiques" on the Old Toaster forum.   I quess to some at 72 I am old.   I am a widow and am still in my home with a 3 acre yard to mow.  I don't move as fast as I used to so my flowers often compete with weeds but I do it and enjoy the work.  I would have a part time job but my health and mobility issues do not allow it.   (I was in an auto accident about 10 years ago.). I work at home as my body dictates.  I don't feel or think I am old.   If my follow my parents and grandparents I have at least 20 more years.  Maybe at 90 I will consider being old.  ;-) 

When on road trips over the years my husband and I often stopped at little country stores.  There is usually older gentleman chatting.   They are always ready to talk about their town and tell you about local points of interest we would have missed.  After he passed I continued to occasionally take those drives.  No snow or ice now and warm weather is coming.  It will be time to hit the road again and look for forgotten towns.

Honored Contributor

At least he found a job.  It sounds like he owns a house.  He could have sold his house and sized down so he would not have to work.  People do have choices.  It is nice that you talk to him.  When you live alone you tend to talk more than usual.  I am sure he enjoys your company.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Umm- this guy is 71 he was born in 1945  and would have been a toddler when the Korean war occurred in 1949 to 1952. He may have been in Viet Nam but if he's saying he was in the Korean war- that's a lie.

Super Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Umm- this guy is 71 he was born in 1945  and would have been a toddler when the Korean war occurred in 1949 to 1952. He may have been in Viet Nam but if he's saying he was in the Korean war- that's a lie.

She didn't say he was in the Korean War just that he went to Korea. Just like my cousin who was just deployed to Iraq was not in the Gulf War, many military personnel are deployed to former war zones. Why are you always so negative?

Honored Contributor

Re: Fill Good Story!

[ Edited ]

@sweetee2  I'm confused.... are you trying to say "feel good" story? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment