Honored Contributor

Re: Fifty years ago today,

[ Edited ]

June 1, 1967. I would be in nursing school. That summer we were sent to Temple university Childrens hospital for our 4 month peds rotation. It was in a horrible ghetto neighborhood and we were terrified to leave the dorms so we stayed in every night for the entire 4 months. Right after we got back to Pittsburgh there were terrible race riots and a lot of the neighborhood around our dorm was burned down. Boy were we glad we weren't there anymore.

40 years ago - married to my first husband - travelling around the world for his job - having a wonderful life.

30 years ago - married to current husband. Working as an ICU nurse in a post thoracic surgery unit. (open hearts). Was not my favorite place to work but I sure learned a lot.

20 years ago - Still working as a ICU nurse - now in medical ICU - like that unit much better - hubby & I taking off in our camper when we could get days off together, and enjoying our boat on Lake Erie.

10 years ago - Oh this is a bad memory - Fell and broke my ankle at work. Still had to work  wearing a cast! Working horrific hours and on call. However, made more money in those dialysis years than I had ever made in my life because those hours were time and a half or double time much of what I worked. Ankle never healed properly and ultimely I had to have major surgery and never went back to work.

Honored Contributor

I would've been finishing my last days of 6th grade, looking forward to summer vacation and junior high.   

Remembering that time frame; my world was still intact, and perfect.   It was a great summer on the farm.   All of my grandparents were alive, as well as my mother's brother.  I spent a week with my uncle, and his family that summer; perfect week, but was the last time I was with all of them.   By the next summer, my aunt and uncle were separated and my cousin was married.   I didn't see my aunt and cousin again until 6 years later at my uncles funeral.   

Respected Contributor

@Lynnster67 wrote:

I thought you were going to say ... Sgt Pepper taught the band to play.

Good one!

Trusted Contributor

50 years ago I was approaching my 9th birthday.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal

This day? Beats me, but 1 week from this day, back in 1939, a hockeynut was born. As for going back? I agree, where did time go during my quick flight through over a half a century!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Hippiified wrote:

@Lynnster67 wrote:

I thought you were going to say ... Sgt Pepper taught the band to play.

Good one!

@Hippiified, saw it on the news last night, I had no idea. LOL