Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

One thought keeps rattling around in my head - is this going to cause a stink between your brother's family and you? Do you think it will turn into upset feelings on both sides?  

Not sure what your brother knows about the accident and repair. And not sure how he will feel about your asking for $945.

I know what the "right" way to solve this. BUT we are talking about family. And things don'r always work out like you think they should.

I would hate for this to cause a permanent sore.

I am very family oriented... family first, and would also hate for this to cause a permanent sore.  But why should the OP and her husband be the ones to absorb the hurt, anger and resentment when they stepped up to the plate to make it right for their nephew while all the time the nephew was intentionally and without conscious ripping them off?

It's a horrible act of betrayal from a member of their own family.  If the OP and her husband can honestly say they can go on without looking at this young man and thinking about his betrayal, then yes, by all means don't bring it up again and go on..... but if not, then the permanent sore is already there! The whole situation is really a shame.....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Valued Contributor

I do have my canceled check. I looked for it first thing when I arrived home last night from the party. Also I have the estimate however there is no distinction between old and new damage. Remember the motorcycle was only 2 months old so no time for damage to show wear. I only have his word that he did prior damage and I'm sure in court that would change. So I wouldn't take him to court.

Honored Contributor

If I had a nephew that pulled a stunt like that, I would make darn sure his parents knew about it

Honored Contributor

I've learned that sometimes you have to "eat crow" to keep the family together. Only you can judge whether it's worth it to possibly alienate close family members over something that happened a few years ago.

IMO, the most important factor to focus on is that your husband wasn't hurt in the accident.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

Re: Feeling cheated

[ Edited ]

@embgm wrote:

I do have my canceled check. I looked for it first thing when I arrived home last night from the party. Also I have the estimate however there is no distinction between old and new damage. Remember the motorcycle was only 2 months old so no time for damage to show wear. I only have his word that he did prior damage and I'm sure in court that would change. So I wouldn't take him to court.

BUT, hubby did wreck the guy's new bike.  I think some menttal damages are due. . . I'd be really sick about it and sheepish if I'd done it.  Is it really worth going to court anyway?  What does the relationship mean to you? 

Honored Contributor

Wow,  

I would talk it over with your husband first.

Whose family is it ?? Your side or your husband??

So much is in hind sight here. You probably should have had the bike taken to a repair shop of your choice.

that way you would have known immediately if you were being cheated or 2 grand was a real figure for repairs.

I would not trust these family members any longer. As I say, they speak with forked tongue.

I , myself, would make jabs ever time I see them about how dishonest they are and I would also let other family members know how dishonest these family members are.  I wouldn't be surprised if they have cheated other family members like they cheated you.

Not many people like it to be known that they were cheated (easy prey).

Karma will get them in the end.

Honored Contributor

My first thought would be "is $945.00 worth the family drama that I'm about to start with confronting my nephew?"    Yes I would be hurt deeply with my nephews actions, but personally, I would let it go for now, and I would not say anything to my husband.   I do not have $945.00 to just throw away, but I would not risk the relationship with my brother and SIL over the actions of their son.   

At some point in the future, there will be perfect circumstances for you to look at your nephew and let him know you have always known he padded the repair bill and bilked you out of $945.00.

Honored Contributor

Re: Feeling cheated

[ Edited ]

I only read the first five replies to your post.  Actually, I have a certain feeling that if you ask for the money, he will 'twist around' the original facts to make it sound that your husband is 'the bad guy', so to speak, probably saying that you had all of the monetary information at the time, and that you even agreed to that amount, knowing all of the facts.   I don't think it's worth it to mention it, because some people in families aren't very ethical.  They bend things/situations toward 'their way'.  I've seen it happen: all of the twisting of information, etc.  ........ Dare I say: And, who, in their 'right mind' would actually tell the other (nice) person all about his sneaky shenanigans?  Right there, this person isn't very nice, openly and intentionally bragging about his swindling nature.  .......... Just forget it, and next time, get three independent estimates from reliable repair businesses. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

My take is a little different on it because I say drop it.

The time to constest the amount was at the time of the accident.  You and your husband essentially agreed to settle it for $2,000.  Your husband could have asked for other estimates andoffered a lesser amount; your nephew could have then gone through his insurance or sued, and the court would have determined the damage.

For the sake of the family, chalk it up to an expensive lesson learned and move on.  Is alienating your family and causing years of anger, hatred, and distrust worth it?

Valued Contributor

We were very upset when it happened. My husband was besides himself, which is why it wasn't too difficult for my brother to convince him just to pay it ourselves instead of going through insurance.