Super Contributor

Re: Feeling awful - I hope I did the right thing.

Your Dad sounds like a hell of a guy--making it easy for you and appreciating your efforts and understanding your needs. Babydoll -- he knows you would have stayed if you could. He knows how much you are giving of yourself. You work, are a parent, take care of a home and your folks too. You have two hands and Gee Whiz weren't heading off to Happy Hour or a mani-pedi, but to take care of family.

I understand how you feel----went thru it with my in-laws and my late m-i-l appreciated nothing---no meal cooked with extras for second and third meals ("oh we can't just go out? You don't want to take me anywhere!!")

Respected Contributor

Oh...poor you. I totally understand the struggle you are having with your feelings. I was a nurse, and I also understand how hospitals work. Sometimes the patient has to stay in the ER for hours and hours if no rooms are available. No...you are not a monster. You are totally human with a very busy life. You have no reason to feel guilty. You had already spent several hours with your dad in the hospital. He was concerned about you, your mother, and your son. He totally understood the situation.

You have a very sweet dad to be so understanding.  Bless you.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

Yes, you did the right thing.

It's a terrible feeling to be torn between two places like that.  It's tough sometimes.  Don't be too hard on yoursel...Heart

Honored Contributor

Housecat, with your parents being eldery, and from what i am understanding, if you do not have help coming in to their home,to help with their care, it would be good to look into that.With the age they are ,falling can be terrible.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat - Everyone else has said it all:  you did the right thing and what your dad wanted.  I think many of us have been there and know what a tough choice you faced.

(((((hugs and prayers)))))

BTW, don't ever feel you need to apologize for posting something like this.  We all need support sometimes!

Honored Contributor

Housecat, bless your heart!  No one could have been able to do anything any better than you did.  It's impossible to be at more than one place.  Your dear Dad is with professionals and is being treated, and will get a room.

You're an angel on earth sweetie.  I wish we could all be there to give you a hug!

Valued Contributor

You are a good daughter!

I am sure your Dad knows this!

May you all be better soon!

Respected Contributor

Don't beat yourself up, it's ok. My mom is 89 tomorrow , I live with her I have no help, brother moved far away 36 years. He's got the best care right there for him.

Trusted Contributor

You don't sound like a monster to me.  You sound like a wonderful family who takes care of one another.  Read your post again.  Each person was taking care of another family member!   

Frequent Contributor

@Mustang Shar wrote:

Don't beat yourself up, it's ok. My mom is 89 tomorrow , I live with her I have no help, brother moved far away 36 years. He's got the best care right there for him.

@Mustang Shar, so sorry you are on your own with your mom. It must be scary for you in many ways. Those who have household members to physically and emotionally help them are very fortunate. Hugs to you (((((Mustangshar)))))and your mother.