Honored Contributor

Re: Feeling awful - I hope I did the right thing.

I agree with hockeynut that you did what your dad wanted you to do.He was obviously worried about your mom being alone.Your dad is where he can get the best care and your mom needed you so you are doing everything that you possibly can to help.

Honored Contributor

My Dad was admitted to the emergency room several times. And we also waited and waited for a bed. One time I was able to stay with him the entire 12 hours it took. And guess what - My Dad slept 95% of the time. The nurses woke him up on occasion to check on him. But my Dad slept most of the time. I went straight from work - so I didn't even have a magazine to read. I sat and watched his monitors for 12 hours.

You did the right thing. You would have sat in the hospital for hours worring about your Mom and son.  Your Dad was being taken care of - and I can't help but think he was resting comfortably. And isn't that the best for him? He was being treated and resting. So rest assured you did what was best for everyone.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

Of course you did the right thing ... you are looking out for both your parents.   What a blessing to still have them both.

Respected Contributor

You are good and loving daughter who is being pulled in too many directions.  I think they refer to us as the "sandwhich generation".  Middle aged women who are caretakera for their parents and also their children.  You made the right decision, you should not second guess yoursself.  Yoiur dad was getting the care he needed and you needed to get back to your other responsibilites.  

Respected Contributor

I hate to disagree, but in a busy hospital you can never be sure that your loved one is being cared for as they should be.  My former husband was recovering beautifully from open heart surgery some years ago.  He was due to come home the following day, so the doctors urged us to go home and prepare the house for him - removing anything that might cause a trip or stumble.  We did, and left him there in the cardiac rehab area with a nurse for every two rooms.

Long story short, he had a massive stroke during the night.  We were not called although they had dozens of phone numbers.  A nurse took him to X Ray and since she still had a patient on the floor, she left him in the hallway just outside the XRay area.  From the records it showed he had been left there for over four hours before they realized he was there unattended. He had been rendered unable to speak by the stroke. There is no forgiveness in any of our hearts for this oversight.  His mind could never grasp the fact that none of us were there to help.

NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING when it comes to hospital care. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks, everyone.

I felt foolish for posting this late last night, but when I got up this morning and read the responses it cheered me.  I'm not alone in this, as my grown son is here caring for them several hours each day and my husband is an absolute saint.  DH stayed with Mom until I got home last night and he'll be back here this morning after his first shift at work, then my son will come see her through lunch and so on and so on , which is how it goes lately.

I felt sorry for the ER staff last night. Two nurses had been sent home sick, one of which seemed to be the head nurse, so another one was in charge of ER and somewhere else. She was a sweet heart, but obviously very, very busy. When we arrived at 3:30 there were about a dozen people in the ER waiting room and when I left at 9:30 there was standing room only out there. I don't know how hospitals cope with this.  That has to be one of the hardest jobs in the world.

Again, I'm sorry for dumping my woes on everyone here but I have to say that you always lift my spirits. Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I think you did absolutely the right thing.  Don't feel bad.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@house_cat

Good to know that the posts cheered you.

Hospital and medical offices are so busy... but you can't be both places at once.

I think you need a break somehow... maybe you could treat yourself with a little trip to Starbucks or just OUT for awhile... to let your mind flow.

Take care, sweet friend... you are the BEST!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1

I'm so grateful that you and the others are now my real life friends.  I cherish our friendship.

I have a shopping bag full of 183 Japanese Newspaper Projects to grade this weekend. My treat will be if they give him a room I can get some grading done.  I've said this before and I mean it - I'm a really cheap date, lol!

~ house cat ~