Trusted Contributor

Re: Feeling awful - I hope I did the right thing.

As everyone else says you did the right thing. I bet your Dad was more worried about your Mom & it helped him to know that you would be checking on her. You left him in a hospital- not a roadside rest stop. He couldn't be in better hands. Stop beating yourself up over it. You're obviously a loving & caring daughter. 

Honored Contributor

When I was taking care of my mom, it often fell to me to make the best choice out of lots of terrible choices.

All you can do in that sort of situation is try to decide based on who will be most/least hurt, what the ultimate best/worst outcome will be, how much you can do yourself, make your choice, take the action, and make peace with the consequences.

I still regret HAVING TO MAKE many of the choices I made, but don't regret he choices themselves.

Hope this helps. Forgive yourself.

Respected Contributor

Don't be so hard on yourself, you are doing the best you can and sometimes the choices we have to make are difficult.  You're doing the best you can and I'll bet, like someone else mentioned, your Dad probably would want you to be with your Mom.  Your Dad was in the hospital and she was home. 

Honored Contributor

@house_cat, really you had no options here. You did what you had to do in those circumstances. Hope dad and mom, and you are all doing better today.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@house_cat

You are doing the best you can, don't beat yourself up Karen.  You can't be in two places at once.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

How are Mom and Dad doing this morning?  Hopefully you finally got some rest last night.  You have a lot on your plate right now.  I said a prayer for you.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

My son called me at work today to say my dad wasn't well. He's 92, diabetic and has low kidney function.  I went straight over after school and when dad woke from his nap I could see it wasn't normal.  We called an ambulance and then he and I spent 7 hours in the ER getting tests, intravenous and so on. His doc came about 9 pm and told me he was severely dehydrated and would need at least a couple of days in the hospital because they couldn't rush fluids into him.  Dad convinced me to leave, because my son was still home with my mom and I really needed to be here.  So, I left him in the hallway of the ER because it was so busy there are no rooms.

Now my heart is breaking. I'm here taking care of Mom but I can't imagine him there all alone.  If he had a room, it would be different.  I need someone to tell me I'm not a monster.

You did the right thing,i went through this with my husband,he kept passing out,fell several times, broke his jaw,he had cancer. 

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

House Cat...There is only one of you and you did what Dad wanted.  We are human and have limits.  Just take it one day at a time and remember that when we love someone we never think we are doing enough for them.  Its a tough job being a caregiver.  Just remember to take a minute to breath and take care of yourself. Keeping you in prayers as are all your friends here.

Esteemed Contributor

You did what you could.  You showed up to help him and then had to return to help your mom.  The best thing here, is that YOU CARE ENOUGH TO CARE about your decision.  

Valued Contributor

I'm sorry this happened and you did the right thing. Your dad is getting the care he needs and your mom needs you too. Hugs to you (((Karen)))