Trusted Contributor

Re: Feeling a little hurt today

If you are  " really good friends " and you are upset about this, why did you get divorced?

Honored Contributor

The only thing you should say to him is "Congratulations !"  Try to work up some sincerity. 

Honored Contributor

I think your feelings are very normal.  You had a life together and you will always be connected through your children and eventually their children.  He will never be out of your life but now he's moving on with his life and that "friendship" you have will indeed change.  I think as long as he wasn't married and you were not marriend in the back of your mind there might have been that "maybe someday".  His marriage ends that.  I don't know you haven't been dating but it's time now.  Life is short, you deserve to have someone special in your life.  You need to get out there so he can find you. 

Trusted Contributor

maybe you're feeling this way because you were still hoping that someday you'd get back together? maybe? because you were still such good friends? your feelings of hurt are valid, but don't act on them now. give yourself time to digest this new information. step back if you have to. some friendships can last longer than relationships. his may prove to be a valuable one over time. it may benefit both you and your children. 

Esteemed Contributor

Perhaps you held out hope for a reconciliation and now you know that won't be possible.  As painful as this is for you, maybe this is what you needed to move on with your life. There's a quote about painful endings being new beginnings. 

images (3).jpg

Wishing you all good things.

Occasional Contributor

My kids are grown - they are in their late 20's.  They are not particulary close to their dad.  I guess I am hurt because it feels like he still had feelings for me, and led me to believe that maybe we would work things out - we were married over 30 years.  And I never moved on, because he was always there for me, calling me several times a day.

So I feel terribly blindsided by this.  I should have moved on 6 years ago when we first got divorced.  Now so many years have been wasted, and I am in my late 50's.  Guess part of me does not like the idea of being alone at this stage.  Kids are gone.

Respected Contributor

You can no longer be friends?  

If she doesn't like you, then you are playing right into her hands. If they already live together and you've kept a relationship with your ex, how will a piece of paper change it?

Keep your your friends close, and your enemies closer. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Occasional Contributor

Because I feel like I have been played a fool.  He had no intention of telling me they were getting married.    It hurts.  I do still have feelings for him. 

Valued Contributor

Sorry you are going through all this pain.Maybe it is better that he is getting married.You wasted 6 years wondering if you could back together.At least now you can close that door forever and you can start looking for another man.

His fiance probably wouldn't be happy to know that he was calling you many times a day.

Expecially since your kids are grown.

Start going out and meeting new people.Let us know how you are doing.

Honored Contributor

Could be he implied to you more of a relationship than existed, probably just to keep the peace.    That's always wrong, the truth is best.   Sorry you have to experience it but now the truth is out.   Make a life for yourself now, put him behind you.

@findingjoy