Valued Contributor
Dear@qvcaddition,
My mom went to Balboa High School and my Father went to Mission High School.
My Mom came from a big Polish Family. Her Grandma Babushka was Polish/Russian and came to America from Poland in 1904 she knew no English and was taken advantage of as a young single immigrant. Her name was Jozefina. She had my Grandma in 1907 Aleksandra. My Grandma had to help her mom a lot because they were very poor and Babushkas husband left her so my Grandma only had a 7th grade education.
Babushka remarried later and had more children and the husband left her as well. So my Grandma had to help raise 2 sisters and a brother.
Because my grandma grew up poor and in the depression she was very frugal and would not waste a thing. My grandparents spoke Polish but didn't teach my Mom and her siblings because they where embarrassed by it so my mom only knew words. My grandma would sing and talk to me in Polish and I would giggle because it sounded so strange.
I miss her. You brought up happy memories for me though. Thank you for that.n
Thanks for reminding me about the ex's social security. I don't plan on remarrying so I when he retires I have to remember to go after his SS. I don't know how that works but I will do it. Tomorrow I work a half day and then have a lot of last minute things to do. Keeping busy is the key to
Keep idle hands away from the de$il. Lol
Hugs to you and Mel.. Peace be with you.
Esteemed Contributor

@Parischic 

Wow.  I live in the district where I was suppose to go to Balboa, but went to Galileo.  Took three buses.  I was going with a guy on the basketball team and so------- in love, I though.  He went there, but also some of my other friends from out high school they were closing.  It was called Commerce High and closed in my junior year.  Today it is the Board of Health on Van Ness Ave.

So not just for him, but friends I hung with were going there also.  My Dad went to Mission, so did my children's father.

He wouldn't hear of me going there, because he said to many gangsters.  Wow, schools were mild then, not like today. 

Years later, I was an insurance agent for Metropolitan Lifei and that district was my route.  We actually walked the beat and met our reg. clients and tried to make new clients.  

If I thought someone didn't need the ins. or could not afford the ins. I did not push a sale.  I just loved meeting the people and had tea with little old ladies the age I am now, or changed baby diapers.  Nothing high tech in those days, just face to face contact. I did pass the State Board, tough test.

I love reading about your Grandmother.  Mine also raised me.

She lost her home and dress shop with the depression.  They were tough birds in those days.  My Grandma dealt in what they called then, The Black Market.  She could get goods, like chocolates, silk stockings, butter, a lot of things.  She came from Italy when she was 17, an arranged marriage. 

We did speak Italian and at 8 I was teaching her English, so she could get her Citizenship.  They did have a school in North Beach to help Italians learn English.  Of course, these immigrants had no signs in their language, they had to learn English.  So much easier in the last few years.

I loved the old SF.  It was so safe back then.  You could walk the streets at night, no one bothered you.  I bet you could in a lot of towns.  

With the SS.  If his is more than yours and you were married 10 years at least, you contact them.  Now, I have been on it for 24 years.  I don't know if the rules have changed, but you can only take his or yours, not both.  My ex had died, but his wife was still living. They told me it didn't make a difference.  She is also dead now, died a couple of years after him.

I outlasted three husbands and their wives. My first and second died on the same day, same year.  I was looking in the obits one day and both their names were in there.  

The third one died in my home in his sleep.  I went to wake him up for work in his bedroom because his alarm kept ringing.

What a shock, to see him like that, but he had 4 heart attacks and was suppose to have open heart surgery and he declined.

Released himself from the hospital and came to live with me.

I help him because we were friends, just not as husband and wife any longer.  You can be friends sometime.

Have a good day, and whatever you do Christmas, enjoy doing it.  Hugs back from Mel and me.  Blessings

Valued Contributor

@Parischic  Thinking of you today and wish you good memories of your brother.nMy son passed on this day, 2008. Sad day...will be over soon.

Valued Contributor
@Zaimee, my heart goes out to you. A sad day indeed.
Esteemed Contributor

My  heart goes out to you both.  It is not easy for you.

Honored Contributor

Since my Mom passed away nothing has been the same.  She made everything so special.  I miss her every day and even more at the holidays.  Remembering the reason for the season helps me so much. I have been crying some already today and will tomorrow but thats ok. I have beautiful memories of what our holidays used to be.Heart

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Valued Contributor
@Cherylhugs
Thinking of you today and hope your memories provide you comfort and peace.
Valued Contributor
@qvcaddition
My eldest Aunt went to Galileo High School..Then they moved, and my mom who was 2 years younger went to Balboa High.
My Aunt who was born in 1939 was babysitting my brother when my parents still lived in the city. She was looking out the window and saw a bunch of boys playing basketball and met and fell in love with her future husband. In was in the mid 50's her name is Diane and her was named George if that rings a bell since you mentioned your husband played basketball.
My oldest Aunt stayed and lived in the City until she retired. She lived on Ocean Street. Then she retired and moved to Sonoma.
As a kid my parents would sometimes take me into the city. I loved going across the bridge and seeing all the lights and buildings. They took me to the Curren Theatre and we would have dinner at fancy restaurants like the Blue Fox or Russian Tea Room. Since I was the baby of the family and there is an 8 year difference between my next sister who is still alive, my parents made sure I experienced lots of culture. Plays, musicals, Theater, Arts Historical Sites and travel packed into my life in 20 years. That's when my mother passed away. I was 20 and moved out since I didn't get along with my dad.
I did have a good childhood though. Teenage years were rough, but typical.
Anyway, Merry Christmas 🎄⛄🎄
To you and Mel. I'm gonna watch It's a wonderful life tonight. I always do.
Hope your day is a good one.
Hugs...
Honored Contributor

Re: Feeling a little down

[ Edited ]

I think many people feel let down after the holidays for many reasons.  We do keep our few decorations up until January 6th, Little Christmas.  January is my least favorite month but it's DH's birthday month so we always plan to go away for a week or so.  Gives us something to look forward to.  Heading to Vegas and Palm Springs, 2 of our favorite places.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Feeling a little down

[ Edited ]

@Parischic 

Good to hear from you.  Ah, I remember The Blue Fox. My grandma came from Italy or met and lived with the then owner early in SF.

That was a very expensive high end restaurant.

Also remember the Russian Tea Room.

My first ex husband was a football player. It was my boyfriend in High school, senior year, that was the basketball player.

Ocean Ave. I traveled that avene a lot. My Second went to San Francisco State. He was from Noe Valley.

Sorry your Mother passed when you were so young. We have that in common.  My Mother passed when I was 26, married with three babies.  The poor soul, we never were together much. I wish I knew then what I learned later, maybe I could have saved her.  I did get to see her in the hospital the night before she died.  My grandma raised  me most of the time. Along with my Father. My mother was married to a drunk. The enviroment was not safe for me.

My grandma and dad were strict, but loving. When I couldn't see my boyfriend outside of school, I would sneak out my bedroom window, take a bus, and meet him.  I was a rebel.

In later years, at holiday dinners,  we would talk about my rebellion.  Oh, the stuff I did, what a brat.

I was four years older than your aunt. Born in 1936, so she was I guess just starting Galileo when I was graduating.

OJ Simpson went to Galileo. Ten years after me. 

Your childhood sounds great.

I watched the Mormon Tabernacale singers last night.  It was beautiful.  

I have been playing Christmas songs.  Barbra Striesand, Elvis, his earlier ones, Neil Diamond, etc. Mel and I took a nice walk at a beautiful park. The sun is shining and in the 60's today.

I just had a sweater on.

Merry Christmas to you. I'm zooming with my sister in WA tonight.  We make a cocktail and enjoy each other's company.

Snowing a lot where she lives in a cute little Christmas town called Leavenworth, Wa.  It was on a Christmas movie on Lifetime a couple of nights ago.  Take care. Hugs from Mel and me.   Enjoy that wonderful movie.