Trusted Contributor

Feeling a bit scammed by new dentist

My longtime dentist (13+ years) has sold her business to a new dentist. I had an appointment with the new one last week. I am still reeling from the experience.

First, I've taken really good care of my teeth ALL my life - I'm 72.  I had to go through chemo for breast cancer in Oct-Dec 2017 and it wrecked havoc with my teeth & gums. My dentist helped me all she could with trying to mitigate  the damage from the chemo.

So - 13 years receiving good care from my old dentist, and then the new staff kind of started insinuating the my old dentist didn't do things the right way.

When I left the oiffce, I was given an "estimate" of the things the new dentist feels I need to address the ongoing damage of teeth & gums. The total - $20,000!

I intend to ask the dentist this same question when I see him again later this week - how could I have $20K of damage when I've received regualar dental care over the past 13 years? I also received regular care ever siince I had my braces 60 years ago!!

Oh - a good friend of mine who also went to the old dentist saw the new one a couple weeks ago and was given an estimate of $4000 in work.

I'm so uncomfortable with this whole episode and think perhaps I should get a second opinion.

Honored Contributor

Re: Feeling a bit scammed by new dentist

This same thing has happened to both me and my DH.  In both cases, we did not return to that dentist.  Fortunately, where we live there are many to choose from.  In addition, just because the dentist "estimates" you need work, does not mean that it has to get done.  If nothing is bothering you, I would take what the dentist suggests as just that, a suggestion.  

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I think you need to see a different dentist.  I wouldn't go back to this one.  He sounds like a money grabber.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I wouldn’t go back. I would ask friends for recommendations. 

Honored Contributor

You're right to be suspicious.  I'd get a second opinion.  Is there a way to contact your old dentist?  I'd feel better if the dentist gave me several options, at a range of price points.

I've been to a number of dentists over the years and do believe some are unscrupulous, that their main objective is to make money. 

Valued Contributor

sorry you got this news.  i would def initely get a second opinion.

Honored Contributor

I agree with others:

Get a 2nd opinion.

Ask friends for references.

DO NOT GO BACK TO THIS SHYSTER. I wouldn't even call them.

Honored Contributor

My long-time dentist retired and sold his practice to a corporation that owns and operates many clinics.  I went for semi annual cleanings with which I  wasn't satisfied.  Got as astronomical estimate on work I  "needed" after years of conscientious care . They hired 3 dentists the first year who soon left.  Bookkeeping was a total mess.  I left and haven't been back.  Must find a new dentist.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like they are trying to take advantage of you.  Find another dentist.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

DH & I have been through the same thing.Years ago when we moved I talked DH into trying a new dentist in our new neighborhood.

DH was told he needed $7500 worth of dental work. I was told I needed to have all 4 wisdom teeth extracted even though they weren't bothering me or crowding my other teeth!!

We ended up going back to our old neighborhood dentist. He told DH that he only needed 1 root canal & cap .He told me that if my wisdom teeth aren't causing a problem not to mess with them. 30 years later I still have them!!

I never ever take a doctors word on anything without double & triple checking. DH & I have avoided quite a bit of unnecessary procedures as a result.