Honored Contributor

Re: Feeling a bit scammed by new dentist

Our household has also wound up recently on this merry-go-round, with a similar beginning, and no end yet in sight.

I seem to have been spared a bit, but my poor husband has been through the ringer.

Someone had said to me the other day that it seemed to them that with the BIG (PRICEY) PUSH towards implants, which at least theoretically SOLVE the problem if you're willing to unload ALL your choppers and get a full set, then put an END to your dental woes until your PEARLY WHITES head for the PEARLY GATES, dentists have to come up with creative ways to keep the rest of us searching for (PRICEY) PREVENTIVE DENTISTRY, but is all that all REALLY TRUE?

One's head spins thinking about what to do to maintain the best dental health possible. 

Respected Contributor

I went to a new dentist in my forties (over 20 years ago) and my teeth were in perfect condition for a regular cleaning.  I walked away with a folder saying I needed 4,000 worth of work.  My sister went to him not knowing I had been and it was a 17,000 bill.  I went to another dentist many years later for an advertised 55.00 cleaning and xrays and left paying 250.00.   Find another dentist.   Ask around.  They have to pay for so much equipment and employees so they have to make money but some of us  seniors have to be careful with our money.  

Honored Contributor

@madzonie wrote:

My longtime dentist (13+ years) has sold her business to a new dentist. I had an appointment with the new one last week. I am still reeling from the experience.

First, I've taken really good care of my teeth ALL my life - I'm 72.  I had to go through chemo for breast cancer in Oct-Dec 2017 and it wrecked havoc with my teeth & gums. My dentist helped me all she could with trying to mitigate  the damage from the chemo.

So - 13 years receiving good care from my old dentist, and then the new staff kind of started insinuating the my old dentist didn't do things the right way.

When I left the oiffce, I was given an "estimate" of the things the new dentist feels I need to address the ongoing damage of teeth & gums. The total - $20,000!

I intend to ask the dentist this same question when I see him again later this week - how could I have $20K of damage when I've received regualar dental care over the past 13 years? I also received regular care ever siince I had my braces 60 years ago!!

Oh - a good friend of mine who also went to the old dentist saw the new one a couple weeks ago and was given an estimate of $4000 in work.

I'm so uncomfortable with this whole episode and think perhaps I should get a second opinion.

This happened to me once too.  I immediately found another dentist who said it was overkill (my word).   I never went back to the dentist who recommended all that extra work.  It's now been 10 years and my teeth are still in great shape.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

I'm afraid most dentists these days all read the same script.  A new dentist will practically refuse to see you if all you want is a simple filling replacement or work on just one tooth that is problematic.  Their first question is what kind of insurance do you have?  They then demand that you have full mouth x-rays, an examination, deep cleaning and present you with an estimate for several thousand dollars for work on teeth that aren't even bothering you.  It's always the worst case scenario with them. 

Kind of the same thing with the vet.  It is difficult to get out of a vet appointment for less than $400.  They want to run expensive blood work for every complaint.  How long does it take for them to pay for their blood test equipment and results that take them five minutes to diagnose?  My vet even has the nerve to add a 3% surcharge for customers that use credit cards to pay.  In other words, he doesn't even want to absorb the cost of doing business.  I'm not even sure this is allowed by the credit card companies.  I am going to look into it.

Respected Contributor

Totally agree about vet care, too Lolamontez!   Last time my dog got her shots, I mentioned that after shots, she never feels well, so the vet said...’ I’ll give her something’. Well when I pay the bill, that extra med cost $10.00 more- They really RAKE us over the coals to pay for their equipment, etc- Had I known, I would instead give her a bit of aspirin at home.  We must Ask the cost of everything when at the vet, because they are happy to overcharge for everything!! 

Esteemed Contributor

Find a new dentist.  I had a "former" dentist who said I needed four crowns in a matter of a couple of years.  When he mentioned the fourth crown, I changed dentists and went to him for about 15 years.  Not once did he mention I needed a crown.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

One time when I went to a new dentist he claimed that I had a cavity in every tooth! Plus that I had gum disease!

Later when I changed to a different dentist I had NONE of this!

Just couldnt believe that first dentist would make those claims!

Honored Contributor

Some dentists provide this to new patients - an estimate of future work you might want to address/consider.  Dentists deal all the time with patients (not you, OP) who neglect their teeth over the years, then want a quick and cheap fix.  I'm sure a few dentists are scammers (like in every profession) but certainly not all or most. Either way, I'd definitely get a 2nd opinion if you do plan to address any of that work and regardless - I'd find a new dentist since you felt uncomfortable during your visit.  

Respected Contributor

I saw a dentist like this back in 2002.  I'd not kept up with my teeth and he wanted to replace ALL my teeth with implants for $75K   I found a dentist that I paid a lot of money to shore up my mouth and for not anywhere near $75,000.   At that time I was told that I could not ignore my mouth and needed to keep up with my cleanings and I faithfully go every 4 months now.  

The hardest thing to do when I moved here was to find just a non nonsense dentist that still does cleanings and/or fillings and not suggesting procedures that are tens of thousands of dollars.  They all want to be dental spas now and offer "other body procedures as well".

Super Contributor

I'm beginning to think that Seniors all over the country experience this in one way or another. I went thru it when I changed dentists this year. One of the young women dentists in the office gave me a sell job only exceeded by a multitude of the realtors I trained for years. Told her "no" and started using the main dentist who owns the business. He is not a wheeler dealer and I trust him.