Honored Contributor

Re: Feeling a bit scammed by new dentist

Do not go back! Ask around, many people are happy with their dentists and will give recommendations to you.

Honored Contributor

@madzonie- I haven't read all the replies so apologies if my opinion is a duplicate.

I'd say that doesn't sound "a bit scammed".  It sounds like a LOT scammed!

I wouldn't be going back to that dentist.  My DH had a bad experience similar to yours when we were still in England and that scam artist dentist gave him fillings for teeth that had no cavities!  He, too, had been having regular checkups prior to us moving.  He'd never had a filling.  I suspected a rat, when I went to see this new dentist myself and I cancelled all future appointments for both of us and found another dentist.

Who informed us that the previous guy had created a lot of food traps for my DH.  And that I didn't need the work this other scammer said I did.  We stayed with this wonderful dentist until we moved back to the U.S., where we found another great one.

Please, please find another dentist!  Run as fast as you can from this one.

Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi :  75k to reposition your jaw? Amazing!  Many years ago my Dentist reset my jaw (I was suffering from TMJ); cost less than $300 and 30 yrs later, no problem!

Esteemed Contributor

@kelsey17 :  Probably Care Credit is what your dental office wanted you to get; we have used it several times to pay off large dental bills, interest free.

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 :  About 30 years ago I had my Amalgam fillings replaced with gold (that's all the fillings I had).  The rationale was that Amalgam fillings have a mercury component.  At the time the procedure was maybe $500 all in; I'm glad I had it done as I'm 75, have great teeth and several times each year, either dentist or tech will compliment my beautiful (gold) fillings.

Trusted Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@Anonymous032819 :  About 30 years ago I had my Amalgam fillings replaced with gold (that's all the fillings I had).  The rationale was that Amalgam fillings have a mercury component.  At the time the procedure was maybe $500 all in; I'm glad I had it done as I'm 75, have great teeth and several times each year, either dentist or tech will compliment my beautiful (gold) fillings.

I’m also 75 and have had all my amalgam fillings replaced with white fillings because, over the years, those silver fillings leach into the teeth turning them an ugly gray yellowish color. Teeth whitening procedures do not whiten teeth that have been discolored by amalgam fillings. Back in the day amalgam was only type available, and I’d had braces in my youth causing several cavities. I had silver fillings replaced with white fillings one or two at a time years ago, and I’m glad I did so. DH has had his amalgam fillings replaced with gold because he’s a teeth grinder, and gold fillings are very strong. We were lucky.....cost us very little because DH had excellent employer dental coverage. 

Honored Contributor

@madzonie   Heck YES go see someone else!!!!  That's insane - $20K. What will all that buy you? I'm guessing an entire new mouth full of brand new beautiful teeth!!!  Or at least one would think.

Like that's going to happen!!!

Most definitely, find someone else to go to. Ask others you know about their dentist and staff. You do not need or want this new person.

Respected Contributor

I@madzonie Don’t do it !  Sad that it’s come to this but it is happening.  

Shop this like you would any other major purchase and take the time in making this decision. Are they having you speak to special finance consultants rather than one on one with your dentist? Even though you’ve had the familiarity of this existing office for 13+ years and they have all your records and history for all that time - it’s a new day and things have changed. If you’re anything like me that is the hardest part-change. I just wish I would done it sooner.

Lots if good wishes to you.

Trusted Contributor

We have a well known local dentist that spends tons of money advertising on radio and TV.  He has his daughter do many of the TV commercials and presents as a real family guy.  He has fancy offices (2 locations) with all kinds of modern technology - both for doing the dental work and for keeping the patients entertained while waiting and/or being treated.  The dentists at these offices strongly promote "preventive dentistry".  Translation...doing expensive work BEFORE it may need to be done (it may never need to be done).  The horrible yelp reviews include horror stories of children having multiple root canals and nearly whole whole mouth "need" for fillings. Most people that got a big estimate and went elsewhere for a second opinion found the work on the estimate was not needed.  It is pathetic and frightening that the world has come to this where you can't even trust providers like doctors, dentists, lawyers, etc..  There are many good ones out there, but a growing number of unethical professionals in many fields are ready to take advantage of you, cause you harm and not even care.  Go get a second - even third opinion, but do not let this one do the work.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Absolutely- get another opinion from someone recommended. This Dentist is trying to rake you over the coals...   I got taken and paid for 3 caps I don’t think I needed!  Then she wanted to do a full root scaling. All I needed was some better home habits and LESS CANDY. My bad.

My new mantra with dentists: Unless something hurts or is causing immediate problems- wait and get another opinion-