Respected Contributor

Re: Feeling a bit scammed by new dentist

If you live near a university that has a dental school, often the student dentists,who are supervised by professor dentists, will do your work for very nominal fees.  My cousin did this and the work was beautiful, and cost him very little.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Get a second opinion. Many young dentists are in debt up to their eyeballs, after undergrad and dental school loans. My guess is that the work you were told about would be just fine, albeit not necessary or required. My 97 year old mother had a similar experience but since my brother is a retired dentist, he called the guy and reamed him a new one. Mom went to a different dentist who took good care of her and charged her for the work she really needed.

Honored Contributor

I would definitely get a second opinion and would not go back to that dentist.  I have a feeling I'm going to get some kind of  "bad news" when my dentist retires.  Been going to him  for 35+ years  he is really good, but totally "old school."  Receptionist doesn't even have a computer and appointments are written in a book.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm a CSR for dental insurance.  I hear a lot of complaints like yours from patients. 

When dentists offices call they want to know how much is remaining of the patient's benefits. 

Esteemed Contributor

@madzonie  Absolutely get a second opinion.  And start asking your friends to recommend a NEW dentist.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

My long-time dentist retired and sold his practice to a corporation that owns and operates many clinics.  I went for semi annual cleanings with which I  wasn't satisfied.  Got as astronomical estimate on work I  "needed" after years of conscientious care . They hired 3 dentists the first year who soon left.  Bookkeeping was a total mess.  I left and haven't been back.  Must find a new dentist.

@Kachina624    Went thru something similar......was told I needed surgery to reposition my jaw.......for $75,000.    Told the guy I didn't have that much cash........and he told me to get a second mortgage.   I told him, "So long."     Found another dentist who actually gives me a senior discount.    di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

It is so hard these days to keep up with dental care....i have always tried to go regularly since my youth....but the cost of dental appts are INSANE.......i don't know why there isn't some kind of regulations or something to oversee these outrageous fees............i had an estimate a year or so back

for 2 teeth w/bridge and it was $9,000................and the fact that even if you have any type of dental insurance it is minimal..............................the dentists office recommended i apply for a special credit card so i could get the work done and pay the $9,000 off that way.  It is just insane.....and the thing that gets me crazy is when you have your dentist give you a hard time if you are a little late for a check up.................Needless to say i didn't get the work done ...we didn't have $9000 at that time that we could do without.................i had just had a 

bill for $6000 periodontal work the year before!!

Esteemed Contributor

@madzonie wrote:

My longtime dentist (13+ years) has sold her business to a new dentist. I had an appointment with the new one last week. I am still reeling from the experience.

First, I've taken really good care of my teeth ALL my life - I'm 72.  I had to go through chemo for breast cancer in Oct-Dec 2017 and it wrecked havoc with my teeth & gums. My dentist helped me all she could with trying to mitigate  the damage from the chemo.

So - 13 years receiving good care from my old dentist, and then the new staff kind of started insinuating the my old dentist didn't do things the right way.

When I left the oiffce, I was given an "estimate" of the things the new dentist feels I need to address the ongoing damage of teeth & gums. The total - $20,000!

I intend to ask the dentist this same question when I see him again later this week - how could I have $20K of damage when I've received regualar dental care over the past 13 years? I also received regular care ever siince I had my braces 60 years ago!!

Oh - a good friend of mine who also went to the old dentist saw the new one a couple weeks ago and was given an estimate of $4000 in work.

I'm so uncomfortable with this whole episode and think perhaps I should get a second opinion.

DO NOT go back to this SCAMMER!!! Many dentists are scammy especially when they buy a business - they have lots of debt and there are too many dentists in the U.S. - so they have to lie to the patients. Telling them they need work when they don't. They ruin people's teeth and they do not care.. I also had 6 chemo treatments 13 yrs ago and it didn't affect my teeth. If ur teeth were affected, it's probably minimal - and he's taking advantage of that. Check out other dentists - Yelp is a good start. You could also check with family/friends. Always be aware when going to a dentist, doctor --- there are crooks in the bunch.

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi. My dentist who retired, moved to Phoenix.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Dental School 101 - Don't scare the daylights out of the patients when you are stepping into another dentist's practice.  That just seems like common sense to me.  You can hit them up slowly once they are comfortable with you.  This happened to DH's dentist years ago, he sold out and new woman hit him with one of these lists.  He started going to mine.