Re: Feeling Summer's Heat at the Bird's Nest - August 2019

[ Edited ]

Woman Happy

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@mousiegirl   you know Mousie, that vet experience is making me want to say some bad words. 

I had dogs and I understand the need for examining their ears and keeping them clean.  Was the vet looking for foxtails in there too?  Sigh.  They can examine her ears and they leave in the IV port.

Now the little girl's privates are exposed to everything!  Not only that, she gets to experience the itching of all that hair growing back.  Her ears my itch too.  

@Bird mama   Yes, she was scratching last night but could only scratch the collar.  I have some anti itch pills that I was giving her at night, half a pill, and trying to skip a night, and she was doing fine, so I can give her that, whether it will help with this current issue, I will see.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama 

I can’t believe that Finley’s feathers have grown in so much so fast!  She’s doing so well.  You’re going to have a hard time seeing her leave.  Do you think she’ll be recovered enough to let go before the cold weather comes?

@mousiegirl 

Wow.  You and your little one sure have been through a lot.  At least with her  being shaved you know it just itches and isn’t painful.  And it won’t be long before her hair gets long enough to not bother her.  But I’ll bet neither one of you will be anxious to go back to the vet any time soon after all this!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geezerette wrote:

@Bird mama 

I can’t believe that Finley’s feathers have grown in so much so fast!  She’s doing so well.  You’re going to have a hard time seeing her leave.  Do you think she’ll be recovered enough to let go before the cold weather comes?

@mousiegirl 

Wow.  You and your little one sure have been through a lot.  At least with her  being shaved you know it just itches and isn’t painful.  And it won’t be long before her hair gets long enough to not bother her.  But I’ll bet neither one of you will be anxious to go back to the vet any time soon after all this!

@geezerette   This vet hospital is the sister of the main hospital where I have been a client for many years, so no, I will not be going back.  I should have just dropped my pup off at my regular vet as they were too booked for an appointment. 

My pup still has some pain so I give her a pain pill every twenty-four hours in addition to an antibiotic ever twelve hours.  I gave her an anti itch pill today.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama wrote:

Actually it's not weight @mousiegirl   I got the photo of her right at the end of her fluffing her feathers.

She's beautiful!   @Bird mama 

It's kind of funny ... I seem to check in here at least twice a day to get  updates on her condition, and am disappointed when I don't see anything.  It's like waiting for the next chapter.  

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Bird mama wrote:

@mousiegirl   Maybe the vet inserted some kind of stent or catheter in little girl's arm to facilitate the IV sedation.  It's customary to remove all of that before discharge.  I'm assuming it's not any kind of drainage tube because she wasn't having problems with her arm.

I'm beginning to really wonder about the veterinarian that treated your precious little girl.  You have enough on your mind so I won't say any more than that Woman Indifferent

@Bird mama   The idiot Vet forgot to remove it, so I removed it this morning.  No one admitted to that or apologized.  I wans't about to go back there.

I sent my long letter to my vet and the owner, and the receptionist emailed to say it was received and she apologized for what we had been through, and that a manager would contact me.  We all know that the medical profession sticks together no matter the situation, so I am not expecting much, but am expecting something such as it will be investigated, but of course, the vet can say anything and she will be believed.

I agree these are 2 serious errors: (1) failing to tell you they hadn’t been able to conduct a proper exam and to return, and (2) sending her home with the tube.  Terrible! These are worth a formal complaint but I would ensure I have an alternative place to take her before doing that.  They can refuse service the next time you need it, so before filing complaints, it’s good to be mindful of what may happen.  How is she doing?  I haven’t read below messages, maybe you already posted.  I’ll keep reading...

Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

Finley's feather development - August 1st

IMG_2843 (400x300).jpg

Finley this morning 8/2

IMG_2854 (400x300).jpg

She looks good!  Feathers look good!  In the second picture, Did she put on weight, or is she just puffed up.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Bird mama wrote:

@mousiegirl   How is 'our' little girl today?  Is she feeling any better since the ordeal?

@Bird mama   She is much better, thank you. Smiley Happy  I still have to keep the collar on, but maybe tomorrow I can remove it.  I take it off for going outside which she readily does now, then races back to her bed.  I think it is still painful as she whimpers at times, especially nearing her pain pill time. 

I am ticked because the vet shaved the hair completely from her back legs so her naked vulva shows, which was unnecessary as the area that had the foxtails was above the vulva in the drainage area so the only shaving necessary was that and the vulva.  I feel I can't let her outside until quite a bit of hair grows back as now there is no protection in that area.

She also completely shaved all hair in her ears, no vet has ever done that, because with their tool they can see deep into an ear.

So sorry @mousiegirl she has some healing time ahead for her...

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe   She's fluffed up.