Honored Contributor

Feeling Summer's Heat at the Bird's Nest - August 2019

Welcome dear friends old and new to the Bird's Nest for August 2019.

Related image

Related image

Among the trees is a bird's nest,

and in the nest her three eggs rest,

and in each egg, Hush, you'll be heard!

There lies asleep A tiny bird.

Written by H.N. Bialik

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Re: Feeling Summer's Heat at the Bird's Nest - August 2019

[ Edited ]

Continuing the discussion from July:

Mousiegirl's little pup had three foxtails removed from her vulva (sorry, that's where they were) and was discharged home with some tube in her little arm. 

Mousie wrote:

Mousie,   I just have been reading what your poor little Girl has been dealing with.  Ouch!!!   I'm glad those things are gone and hope she responds really well to all the care and meds shes getting now.   

I looked up foxtails and they look like a weed we have growing here in Missouri.   As a kid,  I'd pick some of the plume like parts of the plant to go with flowers in a vase.   They were soft and fuzzy.   What part of them caused Girl's awful ordeal?     I know there are many plants that have awful properties, one being nut grass.  That is one noxious plant and I had some weird plant growing on my patio at the other house last year.  Started growing while I was in Florida and I've made sure it doesn't return any more.   I don't know what it looks like, because all I got into were the seeds and they were awful.  Stuck to everything and looked like little spikes and they hurt if they got to your skin and stuck it.   

Hugs and pets to Girl and I hope you get an answer from the vet about that tube.   Strange for sure. 

Image may contain: flower

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl   Maybe the vet inserted some kind of stent or catheter in little girl's arm to facilitate the IV sedation.  It's customary to remove all of that before discharge.  I'm assuming it's not any kind of drainage tube because she wasn't having problems with her arm.

I'm beginning to really wonder about the veterinarian that treated your precious little girl.  You have enough on your mind so I won't say any more than that Woman Indifferent

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama Those little birds with the fuzzy yellow heads are so cute!  Do you know what they are?  I've never seen anything like that around here.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@2blonde   It's called a Silvereye and it's common in Australia and New Zealand.

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama   I knew you'd have the answer!  All the prettiest birds are usually in far away places.  I like watching birds and squirrels (maybe I was a cat in my last life).  I think that's because they both are cute and move so quickly!

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

LOVE LOVE LOVE - how sweet!!!!

I put out a big plastic bin with cold fresh water on my back patio fence - In Philly it's a cinderblock fence and the bin fit perfect. 

I watched the birds and my clan of ferals enjoy a sip or a dip all day.

I changed the water frequently during the ho ho horrible heat wave too....they all seemed grateful for the quench.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@mousiegirl   Maybe the vet inserted some kind of stent or catheter in little girl's arm to facilitate the IV sedation.  It's customary to remove all of that before discharge.  I'm assuming it's not any kind of drainage tube because she wasn't having problems with her arm.

I'm beginning to really wonder about the veterinarian that treated your precious little girl.  You have enough on your mind so I won't say any more than that Woman Indifferent

@Bird mama   The idiot Vet forgot to remove it, so I removed it this morning.  No one admitted to that or apologized.  I wans't about to go back there.

I sent my long letter to my vet and the owner, and the receptionist emailed to say it was received and she apologized for what we had been through, and that a manager would contact me.  We all know that the medical profession sticks together no matter the situation, so I am not expecting much, but am expecting something such as it will be investigated, but of course, the vet can say anything and she will be believed.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl   Yea but they forget we are in an era of cell phones and built in cameras.  You have prove positive that some dumba** sent your dog home with the IV port in her arm.

They may stick together however you have enough photographic proof, receipts and hopefully email communication to file a complaint with the ruling veterinary association.  Not to mention what you could write on yelp, google reviews, facebook.

Just sayin'

Honored Contributor

@MoonieBaby  It's the kindest thing you can do in the summer for all of the birds and wildlife.  Nature will provide them with seeds, berries and bugs.  If they don't have water, dehydration will take them out.