Respected Contributor

Re: Fed up of people giving themselves titles they have no right to

As far as the nursing school here at our university, you have to be a CNA to even enroll. This was started recently. If I was a nurse and somebody lied about being one and I did all that study and work, I would be mad too.

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Super Contributor

@amaivy wrote:

@Sunnyfield \:

Here is the definition of doctor from Websters:

Full Definition of DOCTOR

a :  an eminent theologian declared a sound expounder of doctrine by the Roman Catholic Church —called also doctor of the church

b :  a learned or authoritative teacher

c :  a person who has earned one of the highest academic degrees (as a PhD) conferred by a university

d :  a person awarded an honorary doctorate (as an LLD or Litt D) by a college or university
a :  a person skilled or specializing in healing arts; especially :  one (as a physician, dentist, or veterinarian) who holds an advanced degree and is licensed to practice

Yes, I fully understand that he has a PhD, worked extremely hard to earn it, is an expert in his field,  and is entitled to use the title of "Dr." - what I am saying is that I think it is used  in situations and with people that don't know him,  that he is a medical doctor, not a PhD - in other words saying "I'm a doctor"....I find that pretentious...but that's just me....

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

Rest assured a nursing degree requires a certain amount of clinical experience as well as classroom/online experience. I have never run into a nurse who did their entire education online. Any nurse I have ever known who got an online degree already was an RN and just wanted to advance to a BSN.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Back in the 70s I worked as a ward clerk in a small community hospital and some one hired a fake RN to work in the intensive care unit. The only way they found out she was not who she said she was, was when she was caught taking meds. for personal use. Nurses never seem to get the respect for all the hard work it takes to get a license, let alone an advanced degree. No matter what people say, it is mostly a thank less vocation trying to be a profession. My niece is an RN, BSN and that's how she feels after only 10 years in the field.