Valued Contributor

Fed up of people giving themselves titles they have no right to

I heard today that someone I know, who went to a nurses aide course for two weeks, is now telling people she has a nursing degree! This annoys me since I worked long and hard for that right. Small 'colleges' are giving out all kinds of 'degrees' for short courses. Are real nurses going to be a thing of the past?
Frequent Contributor

Re: Fed up of people giving themselves titles they have no right to

I totally agree.  Hate that but hate even more to have someone sick and have to put up with their incompetence.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
I don't blame you. I just went and had a TB test done and the CNA said she was going to sign off on my form because she said she was a nurse. I came back a few days later and saw a nurse and she said she would report the CNA to the doctor because she wasnt suppose to sign any document pretending to be a nurse. Why oh why do they train CNA's in the office to practice giving shots on me?
Respected Contributor

I have a Masters Degree in Nursing and I too get irritated when Nurses Aides are called Nurses. I went to school for 6 years to earn my Masters in Nursing. 4 for the BSN and 2 for the MSN. My mother tells me my sister-in-law is a Nurse when, in reality,  she is a nurses aide. I keep reminding my mother that she paid big money for me to attend 4 years of college to obtain my nurses degree and she did not pay all that money for me to learn how to give a patient a bath. I was a nurses aid for several years before I was a nurse. I think credit needs to be given to nurses for the hard work that they do daily. Nurses aides work hard too and it is a shame that they are not recognized by many health care organizations, but the reality they are not, so the aides celebrate Nurse Week with the nurses.

Esteemed Contributor

Several years ago I was hospitalized. Posted on the wall in my room was their uniform code. Green meant custodian, Blue meant nurse, Yellow meant nurse's aid and so on. No confusion.

When I called for my follow up appointment with the new dr, the young lady who answered the phone told me all about what treatment plan I could expect. I asked "are you a nurse"? She said, uh, oh, uh, no I just make appointments here.

I skipped that dr and found another.

Valued Contributor

I completely agree with you all... I am an RN with an ASN degree. I worked hard getting that degree and took the same nursing boards to earn my license as all registered nurses. I have great admiration for those who have a BSN, MSN & even a doctorate. When CNA's tell people they are "nurses" I almost lose it! What's worse, when the patients or their family members think the CNA's medical opinion is as valid as ours ! Whew! Thanks for letting me vent. I have been an RN for over 20 years and still feel proud when I tell people my chosen profession.
Esteemed Contributor

I will say up front here that I am NOT a nurse... or a CNA or anything close to any of it.  I just want to say that everyone who becomes a fully qualified nurse should be proud and be commended for it!  I'm sure CNA's work hard, but for whatever reason, if they haven't gotten the appropriate education and "paid their dues", they should not try to make anyone believe they have.  They should be proud of what they do also, because they work hard.

I think anyone who goes into the nursing profession, at whatever level, has to have something special inside them.  I could never do it, and I'll be the first to say so.  So I greatly admire all those who do!  Kudos to you all! 

Regular Contributor

I'm a CNA and can totally understand how RN's wouldn't want CNA's claiming to be "nurses". However, sometimes I think it's important for us to relax a little bit when perhaps the sick or elderly simply see us all as "nurses" and really don't care about the specifics about who is which. They just want all of us scrubs-wearing folks to take care of their needs of the moment and leave it up to us to delegate the duties appropriately according to our certification/licensure. 

Valued Contributor

@conlt wrote:

I have a Masters Degree in Nursing and I too get irritated when Nurses Aides are called Nurses. I went to school for 6 years to earn my Masters in Nursing. 4 for the BSN and 2 for the MSN. My mother tells me my sister-in-law is a Nurse when, in reality,  she is a nurses aide. I keep reminding my mother that she paid big money for me to attend 4 years of college to obtain my nurses degree and she did not pay all that money for me to learn how to give a patient a bath. I was a nurses aid for several years before I was a nurse. I think credit needs to be given to nurses for the hard work that they do daily. Nurses aides work hard too and it is a shame that they are not recognized by many health care organizations, but the reality they are not, so the aides celebrate Nurse Week with the nurses.

Oh Ditto!!!! I am in the same bracket you are and it really just chaps my a-- when I see that happening. I think so much of it started when doctors offices hire CNA's or glorified medical assit. to take V.S. and lay people do not know what to call them so they just say my doctor's nurse told me to go and do so and so. My doctors nurse said I had a temperature. You get the drift. How would these doctors feel if people said can you go see if my medical orderly seeing me today will hurry up?  UGH!!!!!!!

Valued Contributor

Good for you!