Honored Contributor

Re: February 2022 Bird's Nest

May be an image of prairie gentian, rose and text that says '4Février 4 page Ephéméride Seasonal Calendar'

Honored Contributor

hey all

my husband does not watch t.v. much, he is a nose in a book person.he reads books galore.

not much else going on today 1pm tax appoint today

OK guys later.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I didn't hear about the eagle story and now I'm gonna look for it.  We picked a good 'national bird' didn't we @Leeny 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I'm sharing the article from channel WXOW, an ABC affiliate in LaCrosse WI.

CRHS-Eagle 1.jpg

LA CROSSE, Wis. (WXOW) - This is one lucky eagle. 

The story begins with the Coulee Region Humane Society getting a call from the railroad that an eagle was struck by one of its trains and was now stuck on the front of the train.

Two of the society's wildlife rehabilitators went and found the train and eagle pinned by its wings in the front guard rail of the train.  The rehabilitators freed the eagle and surprisingly, didn't feel any broken bones or injuries. Internal images taken later confirmed there weren't any fractures to the juvenile eagle. 

When they asked the conductor where the female eagle and train collided, he said it was about 80 miles away from La Crosse according to the humane society's facebook post on the incident, so it spent a few hours stuck on the train. 

The rehabilitators said they treated her for pain management once they got her back to the building. The eagle is now up and about and flying short distances.

The plan is for the eagle to get transferred to the Raptor Education Group in Antigo where she can undergo further evaluation. The society's Facebook post said there is concern that the pressure from the wind against the air sacks while stuck on the train may have caused some of them to rupture. They will heal in time according to the society. 

The eagle is expected to get moved in the next few days. 

The photos in this story are from the Coulee Region Humane Society Wildlife Rehabilitation page.

By the way, you can tell this is a young bald eagle because they don't develop their familiar white head and tail feathers until they are anywhere between 4-6 years old.   

Heart

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Leeny wrote:

@Bird mama 

I have to say my husband is a news junkie as you call it too. Mr.L watches PBS News mostly along with World News channels. No Fox or CNN. like you said, that's not real news anymore. 

We have basic cable due to that is the only way we can get our local channels sadly. We've had more problems with our cable this year than all the years we've had it. Mr.L thinks it is the weather.. lol;. whatever. lol.

I told him about the snow blower and he got a kick out of that. 

I do need to ask you. did you see or hear about the story of the eagle who got stuck on the grill of the train? He rode it out for about 80 miles. when they stopped to get him off, he wasn't injured, which is unbelievable. I hope the train got him in the direction he needed to go. Woman Happy

@Leeny   So is mine.  He watches the same news daily even though he already heard/saw it earlier.  I listen and check in periodically, but not to the extent he does, once I have seen/heard it, moving on.

Honored Contributor

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama 

Thanks for posting the story regarding the young eagle. I didn't realize she was still a baby for most standards. I still can't believe she survived the ride. We're lucky that the Bald Eagle is our national bird. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama 

Bernie,  I totally missed reading your posts yesterday as I didn't go far back enough to see all of the posts.  I apologize for not answering your comments,    

I wish I had a snow blower.   Most of the snow I got, seems to be the drier kind as it is easily blown about into drifts even on the 1st. floor roof outside my bedroom window(2nd. floor).   That drift is at least a foot high but then it's sitting on some leaves that gathered in the 'dip' in the roof.  I am having lots of problems keeping clear flat surfaces on the snow covered sidewalks and driveway/parking area in back where I feed the ground feeders.  I tried shoveling and sweeping but it's too deep and I am too out of shape to do much.  I am glad for the hanging feeders as it has food pretty well shielded from the snowfall so that the birds have food early in the morning before I get up.  

I'd pay to have someone clean my driveway if I knew who to call.   The roads in this area are still not in good shape, except for the main roads and Interstates, but I heard on the news that rush hour in the city and around the area was a total mess.  Some parts of Interstate 70 were closed due to accidents and the same for I 44 and I 64.  I don't know about the road conditions near me other than the one out front and it's clear.  I trudged up to the mailbox to check on mail, none since Wednesday, and to see the depth of the snow at my driveway entrance,  The snowplows that MODOT uses push snow right into the drive. I sank up to my knees,  got snow into my boots, what a shock to my warm feet!!

The birds seem to have no fear when I go out to feed them,  Juncos come to within a couple of feet and the same for White Crowned Sparrows, Chickadees, Nuthatch and of course the Cardinals.  Had one female that looked to be in bad shape so I tossed her food right off and she ate   I saw her a couple of times since and hope she's ok.  I didn't want to traumatize her by trying to catch her.  Fingers crossed for her.  

I hope your sister and nephew are safe on their commutes to and from work.   My daughter was able to work from home for 2 days and took today off as a personal day.   I usually go over there on Saturdays, but with road conditions, my driveway, and the very cold overnight temps tonight 3 degrees, not sure I'll be getting out of the house anytime soon. 

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl 

LOL.. then you know what I am talking about. My husband watches some of the news so much I think he could do the news himself. I can only take so much of it. Thank God, we have 2 TV's. I don't know what he thinks he is going to miss from one 1/2 hr. to the next. 

Honored Contributor