Respected Contributor

Re: February 2022 Bird's Nest

@viva923 

You are lucky, that you have a Mary Kay lady. I wish mine was still alive. I don't know anyone anymore that sells in my area. I use to have an Avon Lady and she is no longer living either. I know you can order on line, but it's not the same.

@viva923 wrote:

hello all

it is quite hazy today, almost fog outside.

it is not to cold today.

did normal chores,

did walk

my mary kay lady dropped off my small order

that is all,later guys

Honored Contributor

Mama Great Horned Owl sitting on her nest last night, near Savannah.  I think she only has one 1 egg.   Haven't heard different. 

Honored Contributor

May be an image of animal

Honored Contributor

May be an image of tree

Honored Contributor

May be an image of bird and outdoors

Honored Contributor

May be an image of bird and nature

Honored Contributor

Mary Kay @possummink  I was quite relieved to see the sprinkling rain this morning when Grayson woke me at 7:55 am.  I got up at 4:30 yesterday morning and caught an extra hour or so sleep this morning.  My sister works for a company that changed its policy (still debate among leadership about it) that states if you call in for paid time off without asking for it 24 hours in advance, it's a mark on your file.  This is why she asks for time off ahead of time in crazy weather - if the forecast it wrong, she goes to work and cancels the day off.  The cr@p she gotta go through to make a living, smh.

My nephew in the woods works at, jesus I don't know what they call it now - it used to be Chrysler, then Daimler Chrysler and now it's something else - not far from me.  Given he's in the woods I also worry about his commute.

My sister banked an extra hour yesterday and got to work at 4 am today so by the time the rain was turning to snow, she was on her way home.

Even though I have a snowblower I've learned over the years it's only good depending on the kind of snow you get.  If it's wet and slushy the augers don't pick it up and the chute gets plugged.  You almost have to have the perfect snowfall - like a foot of dry powder - for the snowblower to really be effective.

It took me 40 minutes to clear the slush and I waited 3 hours and went back out at 5:30 pm and shoveled the first round of snow.  There is still some moisture in that snow because I had the hood up and I could hear the snow 'ticking' against my hood.  Got that cleared in 35 minutes and am debating on whether or not I will go out again at maybe 9 pm or 9:30.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Leeny  this is a picture of my snowblower.  I found it onlne.  Its an Ariens 824

Ariens ST824 924082 - YouTube

You're not beating a dead horse about the lady from the church.  
I will be 60 years old this year.  As I've aged, I've become more calm about the crazy stuff I see in the world.  It's not that I don't recognize and process the seriousness of what I see or the urgency of what is happening; I've gotten to the point of not walking the floor over it.

It is really disturbing when you think you know someone who is rationale, loving to family and in your circumstance God fearing (since she goes to Church) and they are near 80 or in their 80's and spout garbage that you know are all the buzzwords that they repeatedly hear on a cable news station.  You kinda think, whoo back away from your tv and find something else to watch.  These people are so angry and really want violence - I don't get it.

Honored Contributor

That mama owl's expression says it all doesn't it?  I hope that all goes well for her.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Morning Woman Happy  I was sipping my coffee in the family room trying to find local news that wasn't acting like we had the snow of the century.   I can't speak for the rest of my state however I can tell you that where I am in SE Michigan, the warm temps (40's) lingered longer than they expected which reduced the amount of snow that accumulated.  It's not that snow didn't fall, it was melting for a good chunk of yesterday morning.  Nature is nature and man is foolish if he thinks he can predict what nature is gonna do.  I would say we got a nice Michigan snow - maybe 6 inches total?  Hard to tell since I shoveled twice yesterday and didn't take a ruler out with me either time.  Anyway, I'm grateful it wasn't worse.

It was before dawn when I saw the juncos looking for the seed on the patio.  I have privacy glass in the sidelights on either side of that door and with a white garage addition door and the snow, the little juncos really stood out.  This was around 7:20 am.  I said, well time to get the coat and hat on and I cleared the patio of the snow that fell since I last shoveled late yesterday afternoon.  Since I was already out in the cold I kept it going and did the driveway and sidewalks out front.  My snow joe shovel has a polycarbonate edge so it's not loud when it scrapes the concrete.  It was nice being the only one outside, gently scraping to the sounds of all sorts of birds waking up for the day.  I said all of my novenas while I was shoveling - just so peaceful.

Birds and squirrels are watered and fed and if I get any more snow I expect it to be easy to shovel.  I wish I would have waited to fill the gas tank on that snowblower.  I was so determined to be 'snow ready' I now have a tank full of gas in a snowblower I probably won't use this season.  Well, I'll periodically fire it up and sooner or later the gas will burn run out by spring.