Honored Contributor

Welcome friends old and new to the Bird's Nest for February.

Groundhogs Don't Have a Clue - Scientific American Blog Network

I know ^^ not a bird Woman Happy  I put this fella here in honor of Groundhog's Day.

There are species of birds that mate for life and I'm sure we're familiar with the pretty ones like mute swans, eagles and scarlet macaws. 

I thought I would highlight the endangered California Condor.  It takes them 6-8 years to reach se*ual maturity and they lay one egg.  This is why we definitely need more of them around.

I found this picture on the Audubon site and they are pretty in their own way.

California Condors. Marc Slattery/Audubon Photography Awards

Among the trees is a bird's nest,

and in the nest her three eggs rest,

and in each egg, Hush, you'll be heard!

There lies asleep A tiny bird.

Written by H.N. Bialik

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Re: February 2022 Bird's Nest

i am here

hello guys

not much here

a tad warmer, did sheets today 1 load left to fold,otherwise all put away

walk was good,only 2 stretches i have to walk gingerly. later guys.

Honored Contributor

Scavenger birds are a very important and necessary part of our ecology.  Even our great national symbol, the Bald Eagle, is a scavenger (which we tend to choose to forget).

Our weather is going to take a nasty turn tomorrow night and Thursday.  Freezing rain with possible accumulations enough to take down the power. I'm not too thrilled about that, but there isn't a darn thing I can do about it.  Hopefully it won't come down too much too fast so that the electric lines can stay warm enough to continue to melt any accumulation.🤞

Honored Contributor

We've made it through a month of 2017. Now it's February and time to buckle down and get to your tax return. Here are some tax moves you can make this month. (Male cardinal enjoying a February snow shower_Tammy King-Pinterest) February Images, Hello February Quotes, Welcome February, Happy February, Seasons Months, Days And Months, Months In A Year, My Funny Valentine, Valentines

Honored Contributor

@geezerette   First time I saw a turkey vulture up close and personal I was driving to the local Little Caesars to get a pizza.  There was a poor groundhog that bought it (I think hit by a car) and it looked like it was praying - not run over or anything.  It was in the street near the curb and the turkey vulture wanted it so bad but the cars were scaring the bird.  I pulled into the Rite Aid parking lot, grabbed my emergency car snow shovel, slid a Menards paper bag over the end of the snow shovel and looked at the bird in the tree and said, sweetie is this what you want?  I gingerly lifted the deceased groundhog and set it on the grass about a foot away from the curb.  That bird just looked at me like I sprouted horns or something.

I always keep some kind of hand wipes on me (even in the before times) so I wiped my hands - felt a bit grossed out, lol, and went to the pizza place and got my pie.  The vulture was eating when I passed it on the way home.

Honored Contributor

It's sounding like we are in for a snowmageddon event over the next two days and since I tweaked my left sacroiliac joint last week I broke down and prepared the Ariens snowblower for use.  I haven't started it in a couple of years and it was fussy but I got it going.  I had a fresh can of gas and the oil was clear from the last time I changed it so I am good to go if my back can't handle the shoveling.

It's winter and it's Michigan.  We are due for a heavy snow.  Now, what scares me is that it's currently in the mid 40's and rain is gonna roll in before the cold front tonight rolls in.  I worry about that transitional period when we have freezing rain - not good for the power lines.

I've prepared as much as I can and tomorrow and the next day will take care of itself.

Honored Contributor

One more thing about the vulture.  They're kind of homely and cute at the same time.  Their little bald heads look too small for their bodies. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I saw in the news that New Jersey's Milltown Mel, the groundhog, passed away on Sunday.  The handlers of Mel stated that groundhogs life span is usually 3 years so they were not particularly shocked that Mel passed away.  I thought to myself, wait a minute, 3 years is for outside in the wild, Mel should have lived a really long time if he was catered to. 

I don't know how old Mel was when he crossed the rainbow bridge however I do know that this groundhog day some jacka** in a top hat won't be snatching Mel out of a fake log and subjecting him to blinding camera flashes.  Mel's about to have a great groundhog day.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

It's sounding like we are in for a snowmageddon event over the next two days and since I tweaked my left sacroiliac joint last week I broke down and prepared the Ariens snowblower for use.  I haven't started it in a couple of years and it was fussy but I got it going.  I had a fresh can of gas and the oil was clear from the last time I changed it so I am good to go if my back can't handle the shoveling.

It's winter and it's Michigan.  We are due for a heavy snow.  Now, what scares me is that it's currently in the mid 40's and rain is gonna roll in before the cold front tonight rolls in.  I worry about that transitional period when we have freezing rain - not good for the power lines.

I've prepared as much as I can and tomorrow and the next day will take care of itself.

@Bird mama 

Earlier this morning I had written my sister about the freezing rain we're supposed to get starting tomorrow night and all day Thursday.  Probable power outages.

I just received an email from her saying much the same as you have.  Her husband is in his mid-80s and still shovels by hand, although their son-in-law has promised to come over and dig them out.  

It's winter all right.🌨

Honored Contributor

hey all

Pux Phil in PA lives in a closely guarded area.have not heard if he saw his shadow or not.been bring sunshine all day.

got my car estimate done, have to bring it back march 16th for repairs.

my car is 18 yrs old dh and i will have to begin looking soon for a new car because of repairs on my car plus the value of my car are getting closer and closer together.  before long the car insurance company will total the car before repairing the car & stop insuring the car because it is quite old. within a couple of years we will have to begin looking .

ok guys later