Esteemed Contributor

Favorite Thanksgiving Memory?

[ Edited ]

Parents, from the South, deviated from substantial breakfast to pastries on Thanksgiving morrning. What a treat! One year, forever in my precious memories, is me swinging in backyard on a Thanksgiving Day (Central Midwest) that felt like summer; no outer garment, sun shining, fluffy clouds and mature trees displaying bright orange leaves. With windows in the house open, I could hear and smell the goodness going on inside the house. I had the assurance they would call me when late lunch was ready. Until then, I enjoyed a beautiful wait. Would love to hear your memories.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Favorite Thanksgiving Memory?

I remember the last Thanksgiving with my father. He had insisted on postponing his cancer surgery so that we could have what he knew would be his last family Thanksgiving. My daughter, who is a fantastic cook, made a feast. It was a wonderful day that I'll never forget. 

Honored Contributor

2Re: Favorite Thanksgiving Memory?

2 actually

One year I was in the hospital after the birth of my son.

After Mom moved to MI to be w/ us she came here for TG dinner.

I was in a wheelchair following surgery and I got TV dinners for us.Mom said it was the best dinner she ever had. We now have those dinners as a tradition every year.

Mom and Dad are both gone.

OK, I don't eat those (vegetarian) but still...

Respected Contributor

Thanks for starting ths topic, @jeanlake , it is nice to read everyone's memories.  Mine is the first year I changed the traditional menu a little by making an eggnog pumpkin pie, instead of a plain one.  I had already been hosting my parents and sometimes brother and SIL for holiday meals for several years, getting a smoked turkey from the meat science club at the university where I worked, doing the usual sides, but I decided to switch up dessert, and my parents loved it.  My dad had never been a pumpkin pie fan, but after that he started asking for it, rather than his usual favorite cherry pie.  It made me so happy to be able to do something for them that they loved!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

The year I hosted Thanksgiving, my cousin and his wife came from San Antonio, he was retired air force and I loved listening to his stories. His wife and I went for a walk after lunch, Melissa was very intelligent, and so sweet.

This is a precious memory, because a few years after that Melissa developed a cough. She had lung cancer and passed away shortly after the diagnosis.

Esteemed Contributor

I was thinking my 2020 Thanksgiving was going to be simple this year - nothing spectacular - but after listening to your stories, I'm going to love every minute with the six of us. And the dog! 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just use to love being in the kitchen as a child when my mom was preparing our Thanksgiving meal. Watching her make everything. And waiting for Pippi Long Stocking to come on TV. (it came on every Thanksgiving) My mom has Dementia now so things are a little different. (but still grateful to have her here)

Contributor

Camille P, would you please post your recipe for the Eggnog Pumpkin pie. TIA

Trusted Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

Parents, from the South, deviated from substantial breakfast to pastries on Thanksgiving morrning. What a treat! One year, forever in my precious memories, is me swinging in backyard on a Thanksgiving Day (Central Midwest) that felt like summer; no outer garment, sun shining, fluffy clouds and mature trees displaying bright orange leaves. With windows in the house open, I could hear and smell the goodness going on inside the house. I had the assurance they would call me when late lunch was ready. Until then, I enjoyed a beautiful wait. Would love to hear your memories.  

@jeanlake   Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.  I especially loved going to my grandparents houses as a little kid.  They actually lived across the street from each other so we got to visit with everyone in one place. Cousins, aunts and uncles all around the table and everyone was happy to be there.
 I also have fond memories of family gatherings at my Mom and Dad's home.  My mom made a fabulous pumpkin chiffon pie.  Her turkey was always moist and the aroma filled the house.  
  Now...I am a grandmother and I have 3 little granddaughters.  It's fun being with them.  There is never a dull moment especially at Thanksgiving... These girls love to eat mashed potatoes.   They are just as excited knowing that Santa will be coming soon after Thanksgiving is over...😊

Super Contributor

It would have to be the year my Aunt Rose hosted and her oven broke midway thru cooking the turkey. My Uncle and Dad stood watch over the bbq grill and finished cooking the bird. It was great to see my dad and his kid brother outside in their coats and cans of beer and cigars talking and on turkey detail...we ate super late ...easily after 9 pm and we kids had filled up on snacks so we weren't overly interested in dinner...it was alot of fun...just my family and my Aunt and Uncle and their four kids...small group but we had so much fun....