Valued Contributor

Re: Favorite Souvenir/Vacation Purchase

@ECBG , I think I went to the same store!  The stores at Barefoot Landing change quite frequently.  I have bought many beautiful items from there that remind me of fun times in North Myrtle Beach.  I love it there!

Honored Contributor

@Carol Diane wrote:

@ECBG , I think I went to the same store!  The stores at Barefoot Landing change quite frequently.  I have bought many beautiful items from there that remind me of fun times in North Myrtle Beach.  I love it there!

@Carol Diane The one right there on the street front?  Big pained glass window on the street side.

Cool gifts, not cheap, just really nice things!  I also have a handmade angel that my son, 12 at the time was helping me put away, and he wrote "angle" in stead of angel!  I never corrected it!  Now, he has a 14 and 7 year old and is 38!  The box has the store's sticker, but they're packed up.Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Yes,  @ECBG , you have me yearning to go back!

Honored Contributor

@Carol Diane wrote:

Yes,  @ECBG , you have me yearning to go back!

@Carol Diane I hate they left.  I never liked Barefoot Landing after that.

We just started going to Oak Island.  I'm loving South Port.  DH had always tried to get me to go, and giving up the beach day for the landing was enough.  Once I got to South Port, I hated to leave!.  

Super Contributor

@wilma 

What a wonderful topic..

Over the years, I have gotten some nice things. One thing that comes to mind, is a ring my husband bought me on our first cruise. It was mystic topaz and its beautiful. This was our first cruise and we didn't know of the jewelry in the Caribbean. We were in Cozumel and it had to be sized. One thing I remember is that we had a short window of time to get it sized and get back to the ship.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NEvans2 wrote:

We don't vacation a lot, but when we do, I always buy a Christmas ornament. It's really nice when I'm putting up my tree to have a reminder of the good times we had on vacation. I also buy a small piece of art by a local artist from that area. I have a few really nice prints from Naples Fla and the Outer Banks. I also have a very pretty carved box from the Marketplace in Charleston.

@NEvans2 

@Peaches McPhee 

@nova 

You’re so right. I totally forgot about ornaments. We also have a few Christmas ornaments from vacation places. One of my faves is a cable car ornament with dogs riding on it from San Francisco. 

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@wilma -

What a wonderful thread.

Do you know what my favorite "thing" is in my house and has been since I was 17?

A beautiful sleek dolphin by an artist in Annapolis at a small gift shop.

I went with a friend and just enjoyed the whole day so much.

It looks like a real dolphin done in pottery.

I have another wooden one too. My son carved me one and my sister gave me a colorful wooden puzzle dolphinSmiley Happy I swam with dolphins for a week in the Bahamas on a trip my mother gave me, and felt like I was home with my family of dolphins!

@on the bay 

You’re dolphins sound gorgeous! Swimming with the dolphins sounds wonderful. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hellie jo wrote:

My DH and I stayed at the Grand Hotel on Mackinaw island where the movie "Somewhere In Time" was filmed.It is such a romantic movie.My DH bought me a music/jewelry box that plays the theme song from that movie.I just love it and have had it for many years.

I also get Christmas ornaments.from the many lighthouses we have visited.

@hellie jo 

Your music box sounds lovely. Mackinaw Island is so quaint and beautiful. We didn’t stay at that hotel, but we saw it when we visited the island. 

Honored Contributor

@sweetee2 wrote:

It would have to be an olive wood statue of Joseph, Mary and Jesus I  bought in Jerusalem.

@sweetee2 

That sounds absolutely beautiful. I would love to go the Holy Land. A gentleman came to our local church selling items carved from olive wood in that region. The items were so beautiful. We purchased an ornament and a cross. 

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

One year we went one thousand miles up the Amazon.  At the last stop and we were last ship of season, I saw a dagger with a dried piranha on the top (I wanted it badly).  The vendor had two and I bargained for thirty minutes before sealing the deal on one; a lady who had been watching the negotuations, quickly purchased the other one.

@patbz 

Wow! A trip down the Amazon River sounds amazing. Your dagger is a very unique purchase. You don’t see something like that everyday.