Esteemed Contributor

Re: Favorite Souvenir/Vacation Purchase

Vacations normally consist of going to the beach.  I'm not a big on shopping for sourvenirs or decorative items so I normally go crazy shopping for clothes and jewelery at stores that I rarely get to at home.  However, about ten years ago, I bought a spoon rest for my stovetop.  It's white with cobalt blue painted shells and sand dollars on it that matches my kitchen.  It was purchased in a little family owned grocery store that has quite an extensive wine store in it as well as a small gift store.  When I was at the beach in November I didn't make it to this grocery/gift store and sure regret it now. 

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain If you are afraid their business may not make it, they may have a presence on FB where they sell items.

Honored Contributor

I have a small sand castle that I "won" at the arcade in Belmar NJ, the year before we got married I think we spent 6 weekends down there, and at the end of the season I got a great serving plate which broke a few years ago and the sand castle that sits on my shelves I smile everytime I look at it 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

One year we went one thousand miles up the Amazon.  At the last stop and we were last ship of season, I saw a dagger with a dried piranha on the top (I wanted it badly).  The vendor had two and I bargained for thirty minutes before sealing the deal on one; a lady who had been watching the negotuations, quickly purchased the other one.

Honored Contributor

A 2 inch wide handmade sterling silver bracelet in the shape of a freeform male lion's head about 1 inch tall.

Purchased during one of my New England tours in the Fall, 1988, in a small jewelry shop that made and sold handmade jewelry.  

Trusted Contributor

@wilma Love the dolphins!

I travelled extensively through the US and Mexico when I worked. Most of my souvenirs were Christmas ornaments, magents and tshirts/sweatshirts. But I did get a signed illustration of Dumbo from one of the cartoonists at Walt Disney World that I love. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay,

That shop is still in the same spot in Cape May!  Everytime I'm in Cape May, I have to stop in.  It probably looks a little different now than what you remember.Woman Happy

https://www.sunsetbeachnj.com

Wilma,

I had the same lamp for a very long time.  When I was moving this past summer, I had put it in my trunk, rather than have the movers take it.  Well, need I say more??  When I opened my trunk, the lamp fell out and that was the end of that.Woman Sad

I used to buy a coffee mug from each place I visited.  I now always get a refrigerator magnet.  On my trips to Italy, I try to bring back a piece of pottery or a small painting/photo that I can frame.  When I climbed the Spanish Steps in Rome, an artist was selling his work at the top.  Probably figured he had our attention while we tried to catch our breath!

Trusted Contributor

Like others on the board I like to buy a Christmas ornament from the area I am vacationing.  One of my favorites is a large red and gold tree ornament I bought from Harrods of London.  It's festive and colorful and brings me such joyful memories of a wonderful trip!

Valued Contributor

@ on the bay - I remember the ride you are talking about!  It was called The Super Himalaya (at least it was called that in Coney Island.)  It was my sister and my favorite ride.  That great loud music always attracted a crowd and long lines.  It was not too scary, just fun.  

That brought back a great memory for me.   

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox You just gave me a smile!  I was always in love with the sand castles made from sand.Smiley Happy