Trusted Contributor

I heard my father-in-law (90 years old) got scammed. 

He said his computer was real slow and he got, I believe, a pop-up message requesting that he go to a link to "speed-up his computer",  the cost is $300.  He said since the computer was so slow, he did it.  After he did that, the computer started working faster, but then it slows down again and he gets another request every couple of months for another $300, etc.

Oh my, such terrible people out there.  I feel so sorry for him. 

Brother-in-law told him to stop using the computer and he will get him set-up with a new one.  Then they will be changing all of his passwords, etc.

So sad!  :-(

Honored Contributor

Re: Father-In-Law Got Scammed

@BunSnoop 

Thank goodness your SIL can help him!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

I am usually pretty savvy about not clicking on specious stuff, but one day my computer simply locked up and froze.  I got a pop up stating there was suspected fraudulent activity that could compromize my computer and to call a number where they could clear things up.  I belong to Geek Squad (LOVE them.) and I called them.  They told me it was indeed a scam and talked me through about three steps to press on my keyboard to unlock my computer and get rid of the problem.  The more sophisticated the hackers become the more difficult it will be to separate the legitimate issues from the crooks.

Respected Contributor

I found my husband on the phone and asked who he was talking to, and he said this guy called and said my husband's computer had a problem and he was going to fix it.  He wanted to get online with him so he could find the problem.  I told him to hang up immediately and he did.  My husband is not a very computer savvy person and falls for all kind of things.  My son works with computers and told him "don't click on anyhing".  I swear, it drives me crazy. 

Honored Contributor

My dad is 90. He has a PhD and is the smartest person I've ever met. But he's beginning to fail now. He calls me periodically in a panic because of some email. It's always a scam. And it takes a while to convince him that it is a scam. Luckily, I live just blocks from him and can run over.

Respected Contributor

They are so clever and get in so easily.

This week I received an email from an acquaintance at church which they often do start out with... Let me know if you get this as I need a favor? Common  occurance that is done to switch dates volunteering or a reminder for something etc.

Then they come back with the I am having surgury and need an Amazon gift card. DELETE. I contacted the person and said someone is using your name to scam. The email address was different, but her name.

People are still getting sucked in or they wouldn't do it. Always be on guard. It can't hurt to get the word out over and over.

Super Contributor

I'm sorry.  His bank or card company can get his money back if you haven't already doneso by filing a fraud dispute.  Awful that was done to him.

Respected Contributor

Stupid scammers never quit.  So sorry to hear that.  We need to watch over our elderly like a hawk....glad he's getting help to get new machine and new passwords so they can't bother him anymore.

Respected Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

I found my husband on the phone and asked who he was talking to, and he said this guy called and said my husband's computer had a problem and he was going to fix it.  He wanted to get online with him so he could find the problem.  I told him to hang up immediately and he did.  My husband is not a very computer savvy person and falls for all kind of things.  My son works with computers and told him "don't click on anyhing".  I swear, it drives me crazy. 

@luvmybeetle when I read that line, "Jake from State Farm" was the first thing that popped into my head. 😅