Honored Contributor

Well, needless to say, we're fast approaching fall. There's so much wonderful about this season to me.

Then I got to thinking about all that follows and the little things that came along.  Remember that when they used to say that if you check the caterpillars and see if it has a heavier coat, I think that's what it was, the winter would be a colder one?

I just wonder, if in different regions of the country, there were things you'd look for to show what the upcoming season was trying to tell you about?

Valued Contributor

Persimmon seeds.  It you cut one open it looks like 1.  A spoon, lots of snow to shovel, 2. A knife, a cutting cold, or 3. A fork, a nice mild winter.

Honored Contributor

I recently saw in the farmers almanac that if you have early and abundant acorns it signifies a long and harsh winter. We have a ton of acorns early this year.

The caterpillers that are part brown and part black - the more black means a colder winter. I haven't seen any of those yet this year.When I was in high school we walked home through the woods part way and we would always look for those brown & black caterpillers in the fall.

Honored Contributor

Farmer's almanac just came out with winter forecast this past week.

the new web site had a snapshot of the United States and gave a general break down of cold, heavy snow, dry, warm.

where I am now living, it showed dry cold weather.

right now we are in heat wave #7 temps over 100 again and very heavy humidity.  Weather guessers are saying we could this type weather till into November this year. Wonder if we will have 75 degrees on Christmas Day like last year. 

Respected Contributor

I just heard the meteorologist say we'll have a warmer than usual fall up north.  As for the Farmer's Almanac, I remember times when they were wrong, so I don't take it as gospel especially when I don't want to believe we'll have a bad winter.  I do love a few blizzards, though, when life slows down and I can watch the snow from my perch on my comfortable window seat.  Too much snow, however, can be draining.

Respected Contributor

I always heard that the number of hurricanes is the same as the number of snow storms we will have here in the NorthEast

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

I always heard that the number of hurricanes is the same as the number of snow storms we will have here in the NorthEast

Do you have a number? 1-2?

Honored Contributor

My yellow finches are eating me out of house and home lately! I take it that they are putting on a nice fat layer for the deusy of a winter the Farmer's Almanac is predicting for us! 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

They were wrong last year for us when they predicted it to be snow filled and very cold.  We didn't get much snow at all and frankly it wasn't really crazy cold.

This year the prediction for us is numbing cold and snowy.  We'll see. 

Trusted Contributor

I was always taught that if the fire ants built large mounds that it was going to be a cold winter.....Well..I think they could built to the top of the house and I would not see really cold.....I am allergic to fire ants, so have never tested this for sure........

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......