Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse I didn't mean to minimize your feelings.  I totally understand because I've felt that way (everyone has and if they don't admit it, they're not telling the truth).  I've been told 'I'm overly sensitive'.  Probably so.  Sometimes though I'm right, as you probably are.

The best thing to do is just move on.  You don't have to feel like 'I was being too sensitive either'.  Here's how I think about it, "I'd rather be too sensitive than not sensitive at all" (which is what seems to be like a disease these days).

Hang in there, we're all more alike than we are different!

Respected Contributor

Re: Facebook "likes"

[ Edited ]

Thanks, @Annabellethecat66. I know I'm a very sensitive person, always have been. People generally take for granted that their loved ones love them but if they never show it, even in small ways, how do you know? Maybe it's just an extension of the "me" generation and kids are just more selfish these days. Well, one day, they're going to turn around and I won't be there anymore and maybe then, they'll wish they had made a little more effort. Anyway, yes, I'll get over this funk, I aways do. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Have a great day! 😘

Respected Contributor

I haven't read through all these responses so forgive me if my suggestion has already been mentioned.  Do you have your privacy setting set to public indicated by a globe?  If so, anytime someone comments on or likes your post, it shows in his/her newsfeed, which bombards all his/her friends' newsfeeds.  Who wants to see posts from people they don't know?  That could be why they don't comment or like it, but if so, I find it odd that they wouldn't just tell you that.  I have an acquaintance who has her privacy settings set on public, and I can never acknowledge her posts because then my friends' newsfeeds are clogged with them.

Respected Contributor

@Ainhisg

I have my privacy setting set to "Friends".  I don't know about my sons though.

Honored Contributor

Re: Facebook "likes"

[ Edited ]

You would get a much more positive result if you would discuss this with them instead of us. They could explain to you how they view things and why they respond - or don't respond - as they do. I too live thousands of miles from my stepkids and we do communicate via FB but also e mails , text and call each other. Actually, my stepson is more of a phone call type than his sister - she's a texter. My heart gets so light when I get a "just thinking of you " message from her.

Honored Contributor

There is no such thing as being too sensitive.  You feel what you feel and you are entitled to feel that way.

Facebook is the ultimate junior high experience.  It brings out the worst in everyone and highlights the worst of human interaction.  But it is also a blessing and a fantastic way to stay in touch with people who are far away or too busy to call/write with regular updates.

Everyone uses FB differently.  Many people access it from mobile devices.  For me, when I am on my phone or Kindle Fire, I don't like posts.  I am usually just scrolling through to catch up or read due to boredome (like standing in line somewhere).  When I am at my laptop, I try to like everything my friends have posted.  However, if you "like" a post, you end up getting all of the notifications that come after you unless you turn that off.  Some people limit what the "like" to avoid all those notifications.

Many people have tons of "friends" and "like" tons of businesses and interests.  If you don't have Interest Lists set up, you end up with a news feed that is difficult to navigate.  Macy's posts are mixed in with posts that friends have liked (which is the most annoying feature of FB ever).  It's very easy to miss a post or 10.

Finally, many couples share a FB page vs having their own individual pages.  Especially if they have one computer at home, it saves logging on and off all the time.  I don't know if this is the case with your sons, but if it is, you never know who is liking what when they like posts.

I am a firm believer in saying something if it bothers you.  It's not going to go away and you are just going to let it annoy you for years to come.  Maybe if you say something, you will get an explanation and it will help you feel better about the situation.

Turning off FB doesn't fix anything.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35~

That was such a good explanation. And you are right about the phone vs computer. I don't really like it that much on the phone either and kind of scroll thru when waiting like you said.

And that was really nice what you said about being sensitive.

That makes any of us who thought maybe we were, well, feel better!

So thank you!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay  Thanks for the kind words.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

I rarely post to my FB page.

If someone "Likes" it, great, if not, it doesn't bother me.

I'm not in competition to see who "Likes" me back after I "Liked" their post.

Super Contributor

I have been told that facebook began among HS friends & that parents took it over.  That is why I am not on facebook.  I do not need to know my children's (or their friend's) every move.  We live in different cities & communicate the old fashion way........via telephone.