Honored Contributor

Thank you everyone for your prayers and support. I spoke to Mom yesterday...having a “good” day among mostly bad ones. She told me I sounded tired and should  schedule a spa day and charge it to her. Now isn’t that just like a mother?...Thinking of MY needs at this time. 

I’m trying to keep the home front as normal as possible with all the stress around me....getting to the gym early (was there at 5:30 today) and yoga in the afternoons....then comes all the calls from Mom’s caregivers, Hospice and replies from the nursing homes that were left messages late yesterday. DS, DIL and DD (3 hr. time difference in WA) are helping, but sometimes too many hands stirring the soup causes more confusion, especially contacting the same nurse, getting calls returned, etc. The left hand doesn’t know what the right is doing. I’ve asked that I make the calls and have a family meeting this weekend w/ findings and make one decision. Of course, their support is beyond measure. 

When Mom’s more awake, she’s having her caregivers write checks to pay bills and she’s signing as they pass them under her nose...Uh, no! I’m double checking the account online (joint acct. w/ her), but will pay any accumulated bills on Saturday’s visit and take checkbook with me. 

She asked me, last visit, to clear out and close her safe deposit box. Oy vey! More jewelry. Lol. Many pieces are  too big for granddaughters and DD and DIL not interested. Will sell to CIRCA as I’ve done before. Anyone deal w/ them? Wonderful to deal with for estate pieces, buy gold and finished pieces....many offices listed online. The usual me giving info. about jewelry. 😜

So after another cup of Joe, my busy day begins. I did want to check in and let ya’ll know I’m touched by your heartfelt prayers.

Love to each of you.

Shanus

Honored Contributor

@Shanus  I continue to keep your mother and you in my prayers.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Shanus You are very fortunate to have a good support system in this very difficult time. I don't have that so I know how important it is. I loved my Mom so much and miss her beyond words. She was one tough woman and it sounds like your Mom is too.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

Praying for you and your mom, @Shanus.  It is sweet that she wanted you to have a spa day. Yes, just like a mother.

I know you are probaby mentally exhausted, glad you are taking care of yourself. I'm praying you and your mom have a nice visit on Saturday.

Super Contributor

Shanus - i'll be thinking of your mother. I'm really impressed that you're also taking care of you. There's so many other people in your situation that neglect themselves and that's actually the worst thing a person can do because that's not good for the person they're taking care of either. God Bless and take care.

Respected Contributor

Re: FROM SHANUS

[ Edited ]

@Shanus  Sounds like your Mom knows best!  Yes, be sure to take care of yourself, it is important for you to be well during this very difficult time.

I would wait on selling all the jewelry.  Your Grandchildren may decide that they would like a piece of jewelry from their great Grandmother at some point, maybe when they graduate or get married.

I lost my wonderful Grandmother many, many years ago, and wish I had something from her that could be passed down to my grandchildren when they are old enough since it would be something from their great, great Grandmother that they never had a chance to meet. . 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

@Shanus  I’m thinking of you. Even though I only know you on these forums, I always read your recs and responses because you are so knowledgeable with all things beauty. I pray that God gives you and your family strength and comfort! ❤️😕

Respected Contributor

Let me add my thoughts and prayers, not an easy time at the best of time and especially difficult during the holiday season!

When I was walking a mile in your moccasins a Cardiologist said something to me I always remember. He said 'there is a natural end to all life on earth and we cannot 'cure' it and should not try to interfere and attempt to prolong a life that is coming to a natural end'. Like you, we turned to Hospice and accepted the inevitable.

One of my dear friends mother was dying of CHF and her brother was on the phone trying to get her a heart/lung transplant. She was well into her 80's and died 24 hours later. Created all sorts of additional grief in his reluctance to let his Mom go.

Honored Contributor

Related image

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Shanus.  My thoughts are with you during this extremely sad time.  It's very difficult to lose this person who has been so important in your life in a million ways.

I lost my mom in 2003, but there isn't a day that passes without me thinking of something I'd like to tell her; some things just juicy gossip, some things which would have made her happy or proud, other things sad.  I'm sure you'll have the same experience.

Please know that there are many of us thinking of you and your mom.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment