Esteemed Contributor

Re: FIRST TOILET PAPER AND NOW GAS

Well when billions of dollars are given away, it has to come from somewhere.

Respected Contributor

What surprises me is that the hackers asked "only" for $5 million dollars. They could have blackmailed them for a lot more, and gotten it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ProudMa wrote:

OK...Am I the only one who is thinking....

Last year, work from home, low gas usage...No holiday travel...low gas usage...no vacations...low gas usage

Gas companies hacked their own account to create shortage---then high prices...

Where is the governmental oversight on this??

@ProudMa   Yes, I think that YOU are the only one saying this.  I don't think you are thinking at all. It is unbelieveable to me that you think Colonial Pipeline hacked their own computer system?????  It makes no sense whatsoever.   I think the FBI would have discovered that in a matter of minutes.  The gas prices have not gone up in my area.   I filled up yesterday and the prices in my area of NC are about the same.  Wow, still SMH over your post.  

Respected Contributor

@GoneButNotForgottenIt does seem low but it also gives creedance to what the hackers said about how they were solely "in it for the money."  That amount seems reasonable that they might havequietly gotten that amount instead of "being more greedy".    The fact that it is reported that Colonial gas DID pay the ransom makes one think they possibly Should have paid it at the get go.  and saved all the drama at the pumps.  Interesting timing though, when Infrastructure is all the news. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass wrote:

Two days ago DH mentioned finding a decent camper at a lot in FL, flying down to buy it, and driving the camper back.  He's looking for a Rialta, not found commonly here in the midwest.  And my idea for a quick trip was the Outer Banks.  Well, I guess we will be staying home.  Killed that argument deader than a door nail.  

You apparently think the gas shortage due to the hack at Colonial Pipeline is going to last for months????

Respected Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

What surprises me is that the hackers asked "only" for $5 million dollars. They could have blackmailed them for a lot more, and gotten it.

No doubt they will do it again.  Worked this time - why not?

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Shanus 

Thank goodness I don't have to choose, but I'd rather be stocked up on toilet paper than gas.   

I can drive less, or whatever makes sense.  There is no (acceptable) Plan B when TP is nowhere to be found ...

@Tinkrbl44   So true. LOL

Trusted Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

Makes electric look a whole lot beter when you can't Get gas.

No it doesn't.  En masse will take down the grid when everyone charges it.  I don't want an electric car and will never buy one.  They are extremely expensive and not only that the fee to register it each year at the DMV will be very high too. 

Trusted Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

@Kachina624  my thought exactly.  "They" know what's best for us 4 trillion times over     but when it comes to taking chage of a situation  of international hacking of national infrastructure the line is that's a private company affair.  After all, one of our energy chiefs came right out and said if we all drove electric cars this wouldn't matter.  which brings me to Your point.  WHY aen't "They" moving mountains so this never happens again?

@candys minethey're ineffective and the evil doers have no fear now, 

Honored Contributor

I've been hearing that the price of wood has sky-rocketed, too.  Maybe not everywhere, but maybe in certain regions. ?

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).