Honored Contributor

Re: FIRST TOILET PAPER AND NOW GAS

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

If this isn't affecting Florida, why did the governor declare a state of emergency over this?  There are news articles all over about long lines at some Florida gas stations. 

I was listening to a national radio station this morning.  They were talking to a guy on the phone who was waiting in line in Florida to get gas.  The guy said he had been in line 38 minutes and there were still 4 cars ahead of him.  He said the gas was coming out in a trickle so it was taking a really long time for cars to fill up.

I'm sure adjusting the pumps so the gas trickles out is being done on purpose.

@Lipstickdiva @Northern Florida is directly affected because it gets gas from the pipeline. The rest of Florida has its gas delivered by ships. There was a temporary here in S. Florida when the hacking news first came out because most people weren't aware of how are gas Cooke's to us until local news stations had segments about this issue. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

Thank goodness I don't have to choose, but I'd rather be stocked up on toilet paper than gas.   

I can drive less, or whatever makes sense.  There is no (acceptable) Plan B when TP is nowhere to be found ...

Respected Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

Makes electric look a whole lot beter when you can't Get gas.

Exactly because we all know that electricity has absolutely NO reliance on fossil fuels whatsoever.  Right.

Respected Contributor

@ProudMa wrote:

OK...Am I the only one who is thinking....

Last year, work from home, low gas usage...No holiday travel...low gas usage...no vacations...low gas usage

Gas companies hacked their own account to create shortage---then high prices...

Where is the governmental oversight on this??

Well the government closed the Keystone pipeline and told us pipelines were bad for the environment - as well as telling us we MUST eliminate fossil fuels altogether - with no reasonable alternative in sight.  So yes - what exactly s the government's role in all this?

Respected Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

@Kachina624  my thought exactly.  "They" know what's best for us 4 trillion times over     but when it comes to taking chage of a situation  of international hacking of national infrastructure the line is that's a private company affair.  After all, one of our energy chiefs came right out and said if we all drove electric cars this wouldn't matter.  which brings me to Your point.  WHY aen't "They" moving mountains so this never happens again?

So we should all drive electric cars powered by lithium ion batteries which require dangerous child labor in third world countries to mine cobalt.

How very enlightened - and compassionate.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Shanus 

Thank goodness I don't have to choose, but I'd rather be stocked up on toilet paper than gas.   

I can drive less, or whatever makes sense.  There is no (acceptable) Plan B when TP is nowhere to be found ...

Actually there is - you could install a bidet.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@candys mine wrote:

@candys mine    You do know, I hope, the electric grid could go down? 

And since over 60% of electric power comes from fossil fuels - natural gas and coal - both of which are denigrated by electric only crowd - elimination of those fuels will have severe consequences.

Wind and solar account for about 10% of electric power generation - and need backups.

Not to mention that solar panels come primarly from China where slave labor is used to manufacture them.  Nice huh?

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@candys mine wrote:

And since over 60% of electric power comes from fossil fuels - natural gas and coal - both of which are denigrated by electric only crowd - elimination of those fuels will have severe consequences.

Wind and solar account for about 10% of electric power generation - and need backups.

Not to mention that solar panels come primarly from China where slave labor is used to manufacture them.  Nice huh?

@Isobel Archer  I love the way you set everyone else straight. You have the inside scoop on everything. I guess it's doing tons of research on what you believe. Does this all come from googling, following certain people or what? Are you a scientist?

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@candys mine wrote:

@Isobel Archer  I love the way you set everyone else straight. You have the inside scoop on everything. I guess it's doing tons of research on what you believe. this all come from googling, following certain people or what? Are you a scientist?

Love the sarcasm.  Also love that it's just fine for many  to lecture about how terrible fossil fuels are and how we should all buy electric cars - but point out some of the problems with solar, lithium batteries, etc. or the obvious fact of where our electricity actually comes from at present -  and OMG now I'm the problem - the scold - even the anti scientist.  Too funny.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

No electric car for me in Texas. Besides the problems with our electric grid, this is a huge state with lots of roads and large sparsely populated areas. There would have to be charging stations every 200 miles in the middle of nowhere. Electric cars might be fine for metro areas, but they won't be widely embraced here for many reasons.

Would rather have toilet paper - I can drive less, and I should eat less, but a day without TP is worse than a day without gasoline for me.