Valued Contributor

Re: FIRST TOILET PAPER AND NOW GAS

Please don't say this.  My son has seen people showing up with 55 gallon drums in there trucks to fill them up.  These are not approved for gas storage.  Not safe.  People don't think.

Esteemed Contributor

@kitty60 wrote:

Please don't say this.  My son has seen people showing up with 55 gallon drums in there trucks to fill them up.  These are not approved for gas storage.  Not safe.  People don't think.

55 Gal drums not approved for storage but highly desired by some uh, "entrepeneurs"? 

Just in time for Hurricane Sandy, I was driving East on the Indiana toll road. Convoy of pickups passed me, each loaded with portable generators.

I don't think they were Good Samaritans

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51   Ridiculous comparison? It's just the title of a thread. Have a nice day.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624  my thought exactly.  "They" know what's best for us 4 trillion times over     but when it comes to taking chage of a situation  of international hacking of national infrastructure the line is that's a private company affair.  After all, one of our energy chiefs came right out and said if we all drove electric cars this wouldn't matter.  which brings me to Your point.  WHY aen't "They" moving mountains so this never happens again?

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think the people of TX would agree that if you only had an electric car, life is good.

They might be an option for higher income city folk with a short commute. For us who live rural and have a 1hr commute with no charging stations, not so much.

While I don't have a car note, if we mandate the switch over to EV's what do folks on fixed income do when mandated to buy a $50k EV?

Honored Contributor

It seems that any time on the news a "shortage" is mentioned no matter what it is or why, people go overboard and then this really causes the problem.  Most of the time if people would just stay calm and get what they really need, it wouldn't get to this point.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

It seems that any time on the news a "shortage" is mentioned no matter what it is or why, people go overboard and then this really causes the problem.  Most of the time if people would just stay calm and get what they really need, it wouldn't get to this point.  

@AngelPuppy1 , I just said in another thread, I think the media contributes to creating the panic and thus the hoarding.

Esteemed Contributor

People couldn't get toilet paper and now they can't get gas. No matter why folks can't get what they want or need, it just makes me realize how we are not in near as much control of things as I'd really like.

I was use to being able to buy whatever I wanted if I could afford it. Now, its not like that. We haven't been affected by the pipeline yet, who knows whats coming, but there are things that are not available now, that readily available a year and a half ago.

Thats how I took the title of the thread.

Heck, I had a time finding a Chiropractor I could see where I live. Mine retired when covid hit and I had to call four different ones before I found one that was taking new patients. A lot of things just seem different to me. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yesterday, encountered  no available 87 nor 89% octane gasoline at a station. They had 93% octane. Was told  that many people from northern Virginia  came over to buy gas since loundon county had  massive shortages.

Respected Contributor

According to ABC News, a motorist filled four 5 gallon cans with gasoline this morning.

A few minutes later, the Hummer that he or she was driving caught fire. The pictures show the shell of a burned out Hummer. The driver refused medical treatment.