Esteemed Contributor

Re: FIRST HAND LOOK AT HOME SCHOOLING

Schools in Indiana have been open for several months. Teachers have been eligible for the vaccination, and things are slowly getting back to normal. I don't have any children, but I'm glad to see this happening, as it's about time. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

In my area, several schools have been Google schools for 5+ years. Students achieved excellent learning on their Chromebooks in class. Yes, teachers & other students were present before the pandemic. But, students worked separately in groups electronically both in & out of class, created electronic products that demonstrated their learning, shared their discoveries electronically, had electronic discourse, took tests on their Chromebooks, read books on their Chromebooks, etc.

Teachers have been present online for distance learning in new ways.

What else is different? Besides online teachers, parents have also had to step up to the plate and take an active role in supervising their students' engagement and expectations in learning on their computers at least until their students adjusted. Some students are more self-motivated than those that may need more encouragement from both teachers and parents.

My millennial child took online courses in addition to his school courses from 9th grade -  HS graduation (foreign language, Calc 3, Linear Algebra, etc.) and did a terrific job.

Organized & safe social activities could take via place  schools.

IMO, distance learning is a viable option for those who want it.

Contributor

Jewel22 miss gem,  they will get to school all in do time you have to remember every state is different and if we all get our shots by September all the kiddos will be back to in person school, you have no right to say it's cruel and bad to keep them home for virtual learning, some kids are doing better then they ever had and I would think your HEALTH and others is all that MATTERS!!!! 

Regular Contributor

Jewel22, totally agree with you! I d fire all those teachers, who are probably in the Wal-Mart or Costco everyday. SMH  What do you expect when people in high places walk around in a mask, even outside, and has been vaccinated.

So sick of people who what to hold onto this Pandemic as if their life depended on it! WE RE VACCINATED!

Honored Contributor

That was really  nice but to clarify, they are not being home schooled.  They are going to school remotely.  It's the same as being in a physical classroom, with the exception that the the teacher is on the laptop screen.  Home schooling is when the parent books and teaching materials and the curriculum and they do the teaching.  My nephew's family is living with us, they have 8 year old.  Her desk setup is in her room and I can hear the class from my home office.  It's pretty amazing how well it all goes and how the teachers keep control of the students how the students engage and stay connected.  Skyla's parents opted to have her stay in her remote classroom until the end of the year because she is doing so well. They didn't want to disrupt that by having her go back to physical school for 2 months.  My friend is exploring remote options in September for her high school son.  He went from being an unhappy C student who struggled in physical school to an A-B student in all subjects with remote learning.  Remote learning just works better for some kids.  Their school system understands that and js working a solution for students who did better with remote learning.  

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

That was really  nice but to clarify, they are not being home schooled.  They are going to school remotely.  It's the same as being in a physical classroom, with the exception that the the teacher is on the laptop screen.  Home schooling is when the parent books and teaching materials and the curriculum and they do the teaching.  My nephew's family is living with us, they have 8 year old.  Her desk setup is in her room and I can hear the class from my home office.  It's pretty amazing how well it all goes and how the teachers keep control of the students how the students engage and stay connected.  Skyla's parents opted to have her stay in her remote classroom until the end of the year because she is doing so well. They didn't want to disrupt that by having her go back to physical school for 2 months.  My friend is exploring remote options in September for her high school son.  He went from being an unhappy C student who struggled in physical school to an A-B student in all subjects with remote learning.  Remote learning just works better for some kids.  Their school system understands that and js working a solution for students who did better with remote learning.  

I can see that part of remote learning, @chrystaltree  -  for younger students. (I taught all levels.) Thank you for mentioning your friend's example. Like you said, for some, I can see that there may be less distraction w/ fewer behavior problems in a crowded classroom. (I never have those issues on a college level.)

We also know of families who are not sending their elementary students back into the classroom, since they seem to be doing better w/ remote instruction. (One is ADHD.) 

There is still that aspect of socialization that I think about, though.

Honored Contributor

@ollie5 wrote:

Jewel22, totally agree with you! I d fire all those teachers, who are probably in the Wal-Mart or Costco everyday. SMH  What do you expect when people in high places walk around in a mask, even outside, and has been vaccinated.

So sick of people who what to hold onto this Pandemic as if their life depended on it! WE RE VACCINATED!

Perhaps these people, for reasons of their own, feel more comfortable still wearing a mask. Why would that upset anyone? @ollie5 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

As of this week, vaccines have been approved for ages 12-15. I'm assuming that those who get the vaccine will be back in school in the fall.

Honored Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

Sorry, don't buy their excuses. In my area schools have been open since the first school day in Sept. before anyone even got a vaccine. They report if anyone in the system gets COVID and planned to close that school immediately if that occurred. Not one school had to close so far this year and it's May. The children also ride to school on buses, if necessary. Not one COVID case, and I am talking about hundreds of children. There is no reason why all schools should not be open for learning.

@Janey2   I think the opening of schools depends on the number of cases of each particular state. NC closed it's schools for the year because of the rise of cases here. There were also not adequate staff or teachers vaccinated. The governors have the right to decide (along with CDC guidlines) whether it's safe for kids to go to school or stay home with the computers provided.

Honored Contributor

@ollie5 wrote:

@ollie5   Until this week, the vaccine was not approved for some children. Unless you are vaccinited, yes your life does depend on it! That's why hundreds of thousands of people died.