Honored Contributor

FIRST HAND LOOK AT HOME SCHOOLING

[ Edited ]

I woke the Girls up at 7AM to have breakfast before their first classes at 8:30. After breakfast, they sat at their computers until lunch. I could hear their teacher greet them and ask if there was anything they'd like to talk about before they started. The younger one said, "My Grandma's here to watch us this week". The teacher said "Hello, Thanks for being here" and I stuck my face in the computer screen to say "Hi". 

The kids stayed attentive to their lessons/classes until lunch,,,,a 40 minute break and then back to the computer until 2:30. Their teachers seemed quite engaging and made the students feel as if they were still in a classroom setting.

Kudos to all these teachers. It can't be an easy task. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: FIRST HAND LOOK AT HOME SCHOOLING

(At my college, we have so many designations, I'm starting to lose track.)

That was nice of the teacher to include you, @Shanus ! And to be so committed to the girls' personal well-being!

What you described in not traditional "home schooling." They are attending school remotely.

Which is how I've been doing my classes!

My daughter is actually home schooling her little ones (ages soon-to-be 9, 7 & 4). Every home-schooled college student I've ever had have always been my top students -- extremely thorough & quick in their assignments.

I know, however, even at the college age, students miss the camaraderie. My daughter's children do meet with other students for phys ed, etc., (they come here for music education.)

Respected Contributor

This "zoom" schooling is doing an injustice to our children. Why aren't your grandchildren in school? Children need to be in front of a teacher, in person. Children need to socialize with other children. They will be hard pressed to catch up with those who attended school all year. So sad.

Esteemed Contributor

@Janey2 :  I disagree about children being unable to catch up if they are schooled remotely.  There have been difficulties with schooling throughout time.  To mention two recently:  the British students that were inconvenienced (to say the least) by bombing and being farmed out all over; and my generation ( late Silent generation and early Baby Boomers) who were crammed ( sometimes 50 to a classroom and half day sessions) into too few classrooms with too few teachers. I'm surprised that Educators arent ,as far as I know, planning for extensive Summer sessions or Saturday classes to help make up for deficits.  In any case, these students will survive, as did their predecessors.

Honored Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

This "zoom" schooling is doing an injustice to our children. Why aren't your grandchildren in school? Children need to be in front of a teacher, in person. Children need to socialize with other children. They will be hard pressed to catch up with those who attended school all year. So sad.

@Janey2   Uh, they're not in school because there IS no school. The ZOOM classroom is their only choice until the fall. I'm not concerned about either of them catching up since they've both been in advanced classes for several years and are in those accelerated classes now.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus  Not necessarily talking about your grandchildren as I obviously do not know them. A study came out this week where the"  average" children that do zoom learning will be 5 months behind. What about the poor kid that lives some place in the south and he does't have a computer. He uses his mother's phone which does not get great reception. My original question is why is there no school.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Janey2 wrote:

@Janey2   Uh, they're not in school because there IS no school. The ZOOM classroom is their only choice until the fall. I'm not concerned about either of them catching up since they've both been in advanced classes for several years and are in those accelerated classes now.

@Shanus Interesting to see how things are going on in other parts of the country!  The kids in my district started out this school year at home but have been back in the classroom now for several months. 

As a matter of fact the Governor will be opening up the state (PA) by Memorial Day.  NY, NJ & DE are all doing the same.  No more Covid restrictions except for wearing a mask indoors.

Honored Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

@Shanus  Not necessarily talking about your grandchildren as I obviously do not know them. A study came out this week where the"  average" children that do zoom learning will be 5 months behind. What about the poor kid that lives some place in the south and he does't have a computer. He uses his mother's phone which does not get great reception. My original question is why is there no school.

@Janey2   The school's here in NC are providing each child w/ a small computer to use. It's programmed to only do the school work, no emailing, Instagram, etc. Whether or not the study is accurate, these kids have no choice. There's a pandemic and the schools, so far, have not met CDC guidelines for safety. The teachers, custodians, cafeteria help, etc. all need to be vaccinated and a fairly large percentage of people don't want to be vaccinated. 

Respected Contributor

Sorry, don't buy their excuses. In my area schools have been open since the first school day in Sept. before anyone even got a vaccine. They report if anyone in the system gets COVID and planned to close that school immediately if that occurred. Not one school had to close so far this year and it's May. The children also ride to school on buses, if necessary. Not one COVID case, and I am talking about hundreds of children. There is no reason why all schools should not be open for learning.

Esteemed Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

Sorry, don't buy their excuses. In my area schools have been open since the first school day in Sept. before anyone even got a vaccine. They report if anyone in the system gets COVID and planned to close that school immediately if that occurred. Not one school had to close so far this year and it's May. The children also ride to school on buses, if necessary. Not one COVID case, and I am talking about hundreds of children. There is no reason why all schools should not be open for learning.

@Janey2  Can you please tell us what state you are in?

Just curious.

I'm also in PA. Not my college, but the districts around me have either maintained in-class instruction (all along), or else also provided computers for remote classes. As far as I know there's been no rhyme or reason as to how those decisions were made.....whether or not the school was public or private.

But I cannot agree with you more about the disservice to young peoples' socialization. Hopefully, they've found creative ways for that.