Honored Contributor

OK, so I'm not one to whine and have a high pain tolerance. A few weeks ago my shoulder started hurting. I thought nothing of it until I tried to reach behind me and hook my bra and OOPS! My arm just could not reach back and up. 

I went to my PCP first who said it looked like a rotator cuff injury...inflamation of the surrounding "capsule", not ruptured, so no imagry needed. Huh, how did I do THAT? I'm so careful lifing weights and doing yoga. I did gymnastics from age 4 through the team in college and was a runner (6 miles a day until age 65) without injuries and NOW at 72 I'm falling apart?

So, for the last several weeks, PT twice a week, acupuncture twice a week (my acupuncturist is also a physical therapist...double whammy) and exercises with strechy bands to do at home each day. Today I hooked my bra. YAY!!!

I have 3 more weeks of PT/acupuncture and finished. It feels much better. Hot baths with epsom salts help, too. 

Kinda "down" since this is my first age related sign that's limited some activity. Never one to give up or give in, I'm still doing my makeup/skincare appointments, walking and working out except that shoulder. I'm also still able to paint.

Advil is wonderful! 

Contributor

Sorry to read of your shoulder pain. You may want to try hooking your bra in front and spinning/twisting the hooks around to the back and then pulling up the straps. I started doing it this way when arthritis made it too painful to reach around my back. Hoope this helps.

Respected Contributor

I had shoulder pain .. intermitent .. on and off .. for about 5 years ..

I also have a high pain tolerence .... but then the pain got severe .

where I would just cry .. it was like a constant tooth ache ..

finally had torn rotater cuff diagnosed ... had surgery ..and the

shoulder is no problem now ....

Trusted Contributor

I hear you. I am 73 and currently am in PT-- this time for an SI joint issue and severe knee arthritis. I was 100% active and independent until my early 60s. Throughout that decade of life, I battled all kinds of illnesses with cancer taking all or parts of several organs.  But I kept moving forward, by myself, and into my 70s. I breathed a sigh of relief. Now my joints and muscles keep sending me to PT. I keep asking if I still have a warranty on this old body. I am happy to be on this side of the dirt, so I have no big complaints.  At least my body has not been recalled.  

Respected Contributor

Yes .. its discouraging .. when things start to go wrong at our

age .. I am 73 ... but we just have to keep plugging along ...

Good Luck ...

Esteemed Contributor

Hang onto your boot straps because from here on.........well I'm not even going to say it.

Well okay I will but will be gentle with this news.......every month or so something new will crop up. For the most part just little things that will make you say "oh cr*p now what" but that's the way it is.

Honored Contributor

Re: FALLING APART!

[ Edited ]

@Shanus   Not sure it's old age, stuff like this just happens to us.  I couple of years ago I suffered the same pain and did nothing in my life like you've done.  What I can say is keep doing your PT and acupuncture to help you through this.  This is what saved me - along with a couple of cordisone shots that just became necessary for me. My pain was keeping me awake because at night there was no position I could get into that did not hurt.

Good luck, I hope eventually the pain goes away and you can get back to your normalcy.

PS - oh that bra thing - hook in the front then spin it around, be careful slipping into the straps.

Honored Contributor

@poco09 wrote:

Sorry to read of your shoulder pain. You may want to try hooking your bra in front and spinning/twisting the hooks around to the back and then pulling up the straps. I started doing it this way when arthritis made it too painful to reach around my back. Hoope this helps.

@poco09   Problem solved. I purchased a few front hook bras at Kohl's...I also wear my sports bra that hooks up the front. TMI...could get by without wearing a bra at all. LOL

Honored Contributor

@KailaS   Sounds like you're a fighter, too. Onward and upward. Keep feeling well. 

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl   Oh, I hope you're wrong. I'm healthy as a horse with great habits, diet, exercise, keep my weight low and all systems are GO. Each time I have my physical, I get an A+.