Honored Contributor

Extra help from the store's "Help Desk"

[ Edited ]

Today I was looking high and low in Whole Foods for already-cooked and/or roasted chestnuts for a soup I'm planning to make.  (See "Recipes" forum for more info.)

I could not find anything but fresh chestnuts.  I know chestnuts are relatively easy to prepare, but typically you have to score them with a knife before roasting or boiling and with my diminished hand capability, that isn't something I was ready to do.

So I asked the Help Desk folks at Whole Foods.  A kind woman went to check, and came back with water chestnuts.  She was crestfallen when I reminded her that it wasn't water chestnuts I needed, but regular chestnuts.

She was determined to find the answer so she went away again to check with more employees who would know. 

FINALLY she was successful and came to find me still in the produce department.  She showed me two bags of organic, already-roasted chestnuts that she said were displayed in the Hanukkah section (one place I had not thought to look).  Plus they were only 2 for $5 and I needed both bags.

I was so pleased she went out of her way that when I was checking out I bought a bag of barkTHINS snacking chocolate for the Help Desk and gave it to them on my way out.  They were delighted.  Made me happy to recognize them beyond a simple thank-you.

Sometimes I will buy an extra single candy at checkout to give to any clerk who gives me special help.  But this person really spent time and effort - so naturally a whole bag was warranted!  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: Extra help from the store's "Help Desk"

@GingerPeach

You are such a kind, thoughtful person.  Glad you had such good fortune!

Just bet your soup will be excellent.  I have visited Hungary many times, and stayed with friends there.  Chestnuts are used a lot foods.  Had both chestnut soup, and a dessert made with them. Yummmmy!

Going to look for your recipe.

Best to you and Kiku!  🦴❤️

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@GingerPeachwhat a wonderful thing for you to do.  So many people are quick to complain but few compliment. 

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Trusted Contributor

It was a very nice thing you did, but why do we feel the need to reward people for just doing their job. Help desk should be just that, helping customers.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@willomenia  It's a matter of personal preference, I suppose.  

I understand customer service people should do their jobs, but sometimes some of them go above and beyond to assist a customer and it is nice to let them know they are appreciated for their exemplary efforts.

Every position I worked in had elements of customer service, but the last 35 years of a 41 year working life was all customer service, which can really take its toll since you have to make the customer feel he or she is always right (which isn't always true) and that you will do the proper things to make them satisfied with their  overall experience with the organization.

Customer service positions are demanding, stressful, but fulfilling, especially when a customer acknowledges your excellent efforts on their behalf.

Honored Contributor

I did not feel a need to reward anyone, @willomenia.  It was something I deliberately chose to do and wanted to do.  It also makes the giver feel good.  I can only guess that is something you may not yet quite understand.

Trusted Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

I did not feel a need to reward anyone, @willomenia.  It was something I deliberately chose to do and wanted to do.  It also makes the giver feel good.  I can only

guess that is something you may not yet quite understand.i     i understand just don't  agree!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think acknowledging their extra effort may encourage them to help even more customers and serve as an example to other workers...so it's a great gesture. I recently took a small bouquet of flowers to a nursing assistant who works in one of my Dr's office. The office is being taken over by a national company and she will have no job; has not been able to find another job, recently had a baby, and her husband just took off. I had no idea her husband had left her,,,,She cried when I gave her the flowers. She has always been efficient and courteous when I go in for my weekly visits....I think I must be the only patient who has even acknowledged her existence. A few flowers or a single bar of chocolate can make such a difference in someone's life....we should all do it more often.

Honored Contributor

For your further edification, @willomenia 

(from the blog BetweenNapsOnThePorch)

Snacks-and-drinks-for-Delivery-Drivers-and-Package-Handlers.jpg

Super Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

Today I was looking high and low in Whole Foods for already-cooked and/or roasted chestnuts for a soup I'm planning to make.  (See "Recipes" forum for more info.)

I could not find anything but fresh chestnuts.  I know chestnuts are relatively easy to prepare, but typically you have to score them with a knife before roasting or boiling and with my diminished hand capability, that isn't something I was ready to do.

So I asked the Help Desk folks at Whole Foods.  A kind woman went to check, and came back with water chestnuts.  She was crestfallen when I reminded her that it wasn't water chestnuts I needed, but regular chestnuts.

She was determined to find the answer so she went away again to check with more employees who would know. 

FINALLY she was successful and came to find me still in the produce department.  She showed me two bags of organic, already-roasted chestnuts that she said were displayed in the Hanukkah section (one place I had not thought to look).  Plus they were only 2 for $5 and I needed both bags.

I was so pleased she went out of her way that when I was checking out I bought a bag of barkTHINS snacking chocolate for the Help Desk and gave it to them on my way out.  They were delighted.  Made me happy to recognize them beyond a simple thank-you.

Sometimes I will buy an extra single candy at checkout to give to any clerk who gives me special help.  But this person really spent time and effort - so naturally a whole bag was warranted!  

So so kind of you @GingerPeach!