Trusted Contributor

Re: Ever Lost a Valuable Piece of Jewelry...

Engagement ring.  Heartbroken.  Have not found it in two years of searching.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lost:  pearl " Rose " from ring.    Found: week later on shore house door step.

Lost: large diamond from wedding band:  Found: later that day on carpet by entertainment center where I had been dusting.

Lost:  same diamond  but years later.  Found: minutes later as I was showering at the gym...it was a few inches from the drain.

Lost: double strand, opera-length, 9 mm pearls.  Found: next Fall when I unpacked my wool sweaters where it was "hidden" between them.

Lost: DH was turning hiss wedding band during the midnight showing New Year's Eve of Dr. Zhivago.  We heard it rolling toward the front of the sloped theater as we sat in the last row.  Found: NO...even after offering a reward to the cleanup person.  ( DH wanted a new ring a few years later....he doesn't take it off !!!   Will be married 50 years in September. )

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

YUP! Lost a beautiful rose gold hoop from Q years and years ago. Thought it was a goner. Then one day repotting a house plant......TA-DA! I turned the pot over and the dirt and my earring popped right out. Looked as good as the day I lost it and it was burried for at least 5 years. Now I never give up hope.

Honored Contributor

This one gives me goose bumps.....

My Mom and Dad would go shopping and usually parked at the furthest parking space in the lot (lol).... and they went into the store and then went home.  My Mom realized she lost one of her earrings.

She looked and looked and couldn't find it..... then they went back to the store, parked in the back of the lot (not noticing they parked in the same spot), my Mom got out of the car and there, on the parking lot asphalt right by her foot as she got out was her earring!!!  After a week of laying there.....    

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Newgate wrote:

....and then found it?

About 40 years ago I lost the diamond out of my engagement ring which was part of my wedding ring set!  I found it in the back seat of my car the next day!!

Hmm..........LOL  Stay out of the back seat from now on.  LOL

@Cakers3  Oh yes! After the ring incident we decided it was time to outgrow the back seat!!!  It was fun though!! Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

The only thing I've lost was a pair of one inch oval hoop earrings in white gold.  Got them at the q years ago.  Still hope to find them although they probably cost three times the orig. price.

I have had jewelry stolen before, separate incidents.

Esteemed Contributor

A few years ago, I lost an earring in our country club pool.  I had gone there directly from work - something I rarely did - and had worn earrings I usually wouldn't have worn for swimming.  I was so upset, and of course looked everywhere.  I checked at the Lost & Found every few days for the next few seasons.  They had other earrings, but never mine.  I still held out hope that someday it would turn up.

Then Hurricane/Superstorm Sandy hit, and the pool and a lot of the surrounding area had to be renovated.  So now I assume that it will never be found.  I held onto the surviving one, and I still think it's the prettiest pair of earrings I ever owned.  :-(

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have.  One that scared me was my beloved large Australian opal necklace, bezel set in 18k gold with some beautiful, tiny diamonds.  No, it's not the most valuable piece, but it's worth a few thousand and I LOVE it.

Anyway, months and months later I found it in a little travel jewelry thing in this armoir I have in my bedroom.  It was tucked way back there and I didn't see it on the thousand times I looked for it.   I probably put it there for safekeeping.  Ha!  Safekeeping FROM ME.

The only piece that's been missing for years is just a nice little piece that I really liked.  It was a 14k yellow gold necklace with my first name on it (remember when those were popular?).   It's lovely and I just don't know where it could have gone.  I still think it's probably under this one tall chest of drawers.  It's an antique cherry wood piece that weighs a ton.

Esteemed Contributor

YEs two pieces that I lost and were missing for a long time before they turned up.

The first was a lovely opal and diamond ring.  I did not wear it all,the time but wanted to wear it out to a social event and could not find it.  I couldn't even remember the last time I had worn it.  SEarched everywhere but no luck.  4 years later we were living in a new house when I got a call from the wife of the couple who,had purchased our home asking me if I had lost a ring.  I said Yes and described it.  THe dishwasher had stopped working and they called a repairman.  he was removing the filter at the bottom of the machine and there was my ring.  EVidently it had slipped off my finger and been swept into the filter where it had remained for all that time.

The second item was a beautiful Imperial Gold bracelet.  IT was the biggest one they made about 1.25 inches wide and very expensive.  MY DH gave it to me for a major anniversary.  I did not wear it every day so did not notice it missing for a while.  COuld not remember when I had last worn it.  I was just sick about it.  It was so beautiful.  ABout 6 months later I received a call from the manager of the woman's clothing store where I bought all my clothing asking me when I was coming in to get my bracelet because it was still in their safe.  IT had come off my wrist while trying on clothing and been found by one of the sales associates who knew me and knew that I had been in that dressing room earlier.  EVidently there was some miscommunication because the store manager thought I had been called and told that they had it but I never received any such call so she was just following up because she saw it was still in their safe and several months had passed.

Honored Contributor

Wow, Kathy!  Those are great stories.  I love that.  You must be very lucky.  Smiley Happy