Trusted Contributor

Ever Lost a Valuable Piece of Jewelry...

....and then found it?

About 40 years ago I lost the diamond out of my engagement ring which was part of my wedding ring set!  I found it in the back seat of my car the next day!!

About 20 years ago I lost the same diamond and found it about 4 hours later on the floor in our family room!!

A few years later I combined both rings in to one beautiful ring with all my original diamonds!

About l8 years ago, if you can believe it I lost that ring!  One day I looked down and it was not on my finger!!  We tore the house apart looking for it and about 3 days later I found it in my kitchen pantry behind a group of cereal boxes!!   I have since had it made smaller so it now cannot slip off of my finger!!Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

Re: Ever Lost a Valuable Piece of Jewelry...

DH gave me a gold rope bracelet a few years after we married. I wore it every day. It didn't have a safety catch. A few times I would notice it was not on my wrist, but I would always find it in grocery bags or other bags I'd be carrying. Then one day it was gone.

About 10 years later we were having extensive work done to our car. They had to completely remove the seats. They found my bracelet. I was SO happy when DH came in that night carrying it!

Now I have lost another bracelet, a gold one with one gold disk engraved on each side. It's been gone about 10 years too. I keep hoping I'll find it. Smiley Frustrated

Honored Contributor

Lost, yes.  Found, no.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I lost my wedding band. My wedding band and engagement ring were on kitchen counter, I was on the phone, somehow knocked them off. I went to pick them up, could only find engagement ring. (which is the one I would want to find, since it had more value)

I have never found the wedding band. Have looked under fridge, under stove multiple times. Litterally, no clue what could have happened. I was by my fridge tho, and I keep thinking it bounced up and got stuck in something on underside of fridge. Hubby and son pulled it out, turned it upside down for me to look and no luck.

Respected Contributor

Yes. I noticed one day that my diamond engagement ring was gone from my finger (but my wedding ring was still there).  We looked all over the house and couldn't find it. Several months later I went into our basement to put wood in our wood burner (which I usually didn't do). There was a pair of men's fireproof gloves that I put on when handling the wood. I put them on and felt something in one finger and it was my ring. It had slipped off inside the glove many months before. 

Honored Contributor

No, but it still bugs me that I did not find a particular pair of gold earrings, and a tooled vintage leather purse, in my grandmothers stuff when we emptied her house.   My mother does not remember either item, but both had significant meaning to me, and I'm always going to wonder what became of them, along with the small buffet we never found........    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Newgate wrote:

....and then found it?

About 40 years ago I lost the diamond out of my engagement ring which was part of my wedding ring set!  I found it in the back seat of my car the next day!!

Hmm..........LOL  Stay out of the back seat from now on.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Not valuable, but sentimental to me.  A bracelet that my Mother gave me that was hers.  I admired it very much and remember when she got it (a Sarah Coventry piece) and thought it looked wonderful on her.

She gifted it to me.  At that time I had little jewelry boxes all over the place and one day I wanted to wear it and couldn't find it.  It was after she had passed away.  I hunted and hunted and nothing.  I tore everywhere it could be (and some other places) apart looking for it.   Every once in awhile I'd get on a bender to find it again... and nothing.

Then I decided to sell some of my little jewelry boxes on eBay.  One of the boxes was empty but for some reason I decided to take each individual drawer out of the main box.... and lo and behold, under the last drawer was the bracelet, under the drawer.  There was space behind each of th drawers and I understood how it could have been pushed to the back of a drawer and fallen to that space under the bottom drawer.

But there it was, after years and years (and a move) .... and I'd like to think it was my Mom telling me to remove all the drawers, because it wasn't something I would do (I do now!  LOL!)

I'm still amazed.... Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I had a pair of 18k earrings that were a series of circles molded together.  Each earring was about the size of a quarter.., quite large.

one night I removed them and place them on my dresser... and one fell off.  I backed up expecting to find it on the floor, but it was no where to be found.

the next day, my DH moved the dresser and I still no earring.  I never could find it.  We even had every thing removed from the bedroom when we cleaned the carpet and it was still lost.  

We replaced the master bedroom furniture and moved the older dresser, etc. to the guest BR.  About 7 years later, we decided to replace the carpet in guest BR and my DH moved the BR furniture out and into another room.

On the hall way floor, he found my lost earring. It was somewhere for about 10 years.  We think it might have gotten stuck under the dresser in a place where it was caught fast and when it was moved it might have dislodged itself. Who knows?

Respected Contributor

Years ago a friend told me that nothing is ever lost forever, you just can't find it right now.