Respected Contributor

Re: Even the scammers must be desperate

@RedTopwrote: Well I've won the Publishers Clearinghouse giveaway 7x already this year!   

How could that be ???  so they gave my money and car to you ? I had a vm that I  won the publishers clearing house and a new car !! When I returned the vm to claim my prize

( I was playing along with the scam) the guy asked if I was on my cell phone so he could send me a picture. When I told him I was not on a cell phone and why was it necessary to send me a picture I just wanted my money and car he hung up !!  I never got a call back.  I guess I wasted a few minutes of his time from allowing him to scam  someone else Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@Rose429 I never pick up the calls either when I don't know the number,but when I get a message in my voice mail I check it and when it sounds bogus I delete it, I don't respond to that number in anyway. Normally they don't leave a message, but once in a great while they do. I've turned numbers in to the Do Not Call List, but all they do is keep changing their numbers. We've even received calls from our own telephone number, that one is really original.

Valued Contributor

Jalopy! Haven't heard that term in decades! Thanks for the chuckle! 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't answer anymore because not only the frustration, but I had phone numbers on my bill to places I never visited or called.  I live alone and do not have long distance on my plan, land line or even local long distance. i use my cell for long distance, but these calls were from my land line.

Some were over 5 min long to a resort, I never hear of up north. 

When i was a receptionist  I never did it, but the other girl on the desk figured out how to call her boyfriend long distance using a number that came in.  I can't explain it, but it would be charged to someone else's number.  So i don't answer the phone until i hear the message from someone I know.

Honored Contributor

Bizarre that so many people actually listen to those garbage calls.  That's crazier than the calls themselves.   I don't have a land-line so I don't get scam calls. I get the emails.  That's a losing battle.  I delete and block but that accomplishes nothing.  I do wonder who falls for those scams, they are always so over the top and obvious. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Y'all need to quit answering calls from unknown phone numbers.  I've never gotten one of those calls. 

I think they enjoy the calls.  LOL.   I hadn't thought about it but other than an Amazon attempted scam that was very sophisticated, I haven't received a scam call in many months.  Because I don't answer calls from unknown numbers.