Respected Contributor

Re: Estate or garage sales this year for anyone?

@ScrapHappy wrote:

@Ainhisg wrote:

Neither...FB Marketplace--less work, more money...

A couple of years ago we placed our daughters twin size bed and mattress on FB Marketplace.  A friend warned us that we'll get a lot of people who just like to message and ask questions but not honestly interested in wanting it.  I was getting about 50 messages from people asking questions and it went on all day, every day.  It didn't sell via FB but did sell thru Nextdoor App.

Hmmm...I've never had that experience. I price my stuff to sell quickly.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't do either of those things but I haven't seen a garage sale or a church rummage sale in two years.  I think those things are over.  Covid changed many things.  It's easier to sell via Facebook Marketplace.

Respected Contributor

It is way too hot to even think about a garage or yard sale. I would have no interest in standing out in the heat looking at someone else's stuff. It's supposed to be 106 this week, so my time outside will be limited.  The city has tried to stop the " permanent" garage sales and blight that causes in some neighborhoods. Everyone suffers as a result. You are limited to one garage sale per year, must pay a fee and get a permit a month ahead of the date of the sale. They are trying to make it harder to do a garage sale, and it's working. 

Honored Contributor

Well, they're going strong here in our area!!!!  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't had a garage sale in 16 years but during the Summer and Fall we go to them ( live in mountain resort community so frequent 2nd home moving sales). I've only attended 2 this season but bought a new king size mattress and bed, A new recliner and assorted end tables ( filled our large pickup completely).  We usually look on Craigslist on Wednesdays where the best ones are advertised with photos.