Honored Contributor

Re: End of Family Circle Magazine

I receive emails asking me if I want an electronic magazine -- NO, I want a paper magazine.  It's as bad as CD books.  I hope paper magazines will be around for a long, long time.  It is too bad Family Circle had to fold.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I'm so sad to read this.  My mom and aunt would always buy Family Circle and Woman's Day at the supermarket and try their recipes.   Another nice memory from my childhood.

Esteemed Contributor

So many things from days gone by are disappearing.   There is one thing they can't take away and that is the memories we have.  A dear friend and I were talking about this very same thing the other day and how once everyone from our generation is  gone, just about everything about us will be too.  

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

So many things from days gone by are disappearing.   There is one thing they can't take away and that is the memories we have.  A dear friend and I were talking about this very same thing the other day and how once everyone from our generation is  gone, just about everything about us will be too.  

@Lindsays Grandma  It works that way for every generation. We are no different.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma  It works that way for every generation. We are no different.

@proudlyfromNJ    I am fully aware that my generation is no different than the ones before us and it will be the same for generations to follow.  I was just being sentimental.   I may be a senior citizen and as far as I know, I still have my faculties about me.   Smiley Very Happy

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Trusted Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

@BunSnoop wrote:

With my December issue was a letter stating that issue will be the last one I'll receive of Family Circle.  The remainder of my subscription they'll substitute Martha Stewart magazine, or another magazine of my choice.

I read the below on line:

Meredith Corporation will discontinue publication of Family Circle magazine after the December 2019 issue, the company announced.

First published in 1932, Family Circle was considered one of the “seven sisters” of women's magazines along with Ladies' Home Journal, McCall's, Good Housekeeping, Better Homes and Gardens, Woman's Day and Redbook.

Another thing from my past that will no longer exist.  My mom always subscribed to Family Circle when I was a child, and I remember always looking forward to the Christmas issue.   After I got married, and was no longer living at home, I subscribed to it for the next 38 years.   It was not as good as the years went on; however, I still did enjoy some of the articles and recipes.

@BunSnoop ...when you said, "Another thing from my past that will no longer exist", it really hit me in the gut. I, too, grew up reading FC. So many things from our past that we were familiar with and loved have left and continue to leave us.Smiley Sad

At one point in time over the years, I had subscriptions to all of the various ladies magazines, and I really looked forward to getting them in the mail. 

I was really sorry to see the end of Ladie's Home Journal. That was one of my favorite magazines. 

Valued Contributor

I suspect Good Housekeeping is not far behind.  I recently wrote them a letter advising to step up their game.  In the past 13 months, they have had three articles on "sleep" - not the most exciting of topics.