Honored Contributor

Re: Empty Shelves In Your Area?

DIY HAND SANITIZER (courtesy of Dr. Ian Smith)

2/3 cup antiseptic alcohol (90% or higher)

1/3 cup Aloe Vera Gel

A few drops of essential oil (optional, non-irritating choices)

Mix together and using a funnel, pour into small spray bottles. Spray hands frequently and rub together. The aloe vera buffers the harsh dryness of alcohol.

***I made some last night to try it out and it's great. Sent a bottle w/ DH to office. Making a bigger batch today. I keep huge sizes of each from Sam's. Aloe vera is a great natural gel for curly hair. 

Honored Contributor

@busymom22 wrote:

I have taken this situation very seriously and in the last few weeks have stocked up well on everything.  However, panic is contagious.  Today I was in Walmart and I have to admit seeing everyone frantically shopping caused me to buy some extra items. too.  All of our stores are stripped of toilet paper, paper towels, and clorox wipes.  Hand sanitizer hasn't been available for weeks. But today it was sobering to see even aisles of beans, rice and canned goods stripped as well.

All schools, colleges and now churches are closed.  This truly is an unprecedented time.  I wonder about the stress that the constant 24/7 barage of virus news is doing to people mentally.

@busymom22    actually NOT UNPRECEDENTED at all.  Have you read up on the 1918 flu epidemic?  This is nothing new.

As coronavirus spreads in 2020, here’s how Seattle handled the 1918 flu that killed 1,513 people

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/as-coronavirus-spreads-in-2020-heres-how-seattle-handled-t...

The front page of the Oct. 5, 1918 Seattle Daily Times.

Esteemed Contributor

My BIL was at Sams Club yesterday and saw a woman grab 5 of the very large tubes of ground beef.  What are they 5 or 10 lbs each?  

People have gone bat-s**t crazy.

Honored Contributor

@busymom22 wrote:

I have taken this situation very seriously and in the last few weeks have stocked up well on everything.  However, panic is contagious.  Today I was in Walmart and I have to admit seeing everyone frantically shopping caused me to buy some extra items. too.  All of our stores are stripped of toilet paper, paper towels, and clorox wipes.  Hand sanitizer hasn't been available for weeks. But today it was sobering to see even aisles of beans, rice and canned goods stripped as well.

All schools, colleges and now churches are closed.  This truly is an unprecedented time.  I wonder about the stress that the constant 24/7 barage of virus news is doing to people mentally.

@busymom22 We have not really lived through anything like this before.  Generations before us weathered Pearl Harbor, WW 1, WW 11 and so many other hardships as well as Viet Nam and all of the other difficult times, not to mention polio, TB, and other challenges.

I think this time will strengthen us as we go forward.  We just need to get on the other side of it.

Honored Contributor

Looking for Kleenex, hand sanitizer, etc.? DH was just at Staples for office supplies and surprised to see cases of things other stores no longer have...Just passing it along. 

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

When I ran by the grocery store today, I noticed several empty shelves, apparently wipes had been there.  The manager had put a sign there to say that they were limiting those items to two a customer so everyone could get what they need.

@ECBG   Somewhere today posted a DIY (more than adequate) hand sanitizer....only 2 ingredients & recommended by a physician. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

When I ran by the grocery store today, I noticed several empty shelves, apparently wipes had been there.  The manager had put a sign there to say that they were limiting those items to two a customer so everyone could get what they need.

@ECBG   Somewhere today posted aDIYY (more than adequate) hand sanitizer....only 2 ingredients & recommended by a physician. 

Shanuss Thank you!  I already had two bottles of alcoholl and a bottle of aloe vera gel for sunburns.  I normally clean my cell with Lysoll wipes, and had gotten them in a 3 pack from amazon.  

I'd like to read that just to see, though.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG   If you don't find it, @shanus me and I'll reprint it or want it now?

Super Contributor

I went to Target this morning. No toilet paper at all, no immunity supplements, those were all gone too.  Good grief! Very little paper towels, not many disinfectant wipes. All the water in bulk was gone, there were a few individual waters and some 6 packs of them. I grabbed a 6 pack of water. Good Lord! I hope this is over sooner rather than later.

My parents live in Arizona and my dad went to Frys (supermarket chain in AZ) the other day and it was crazy. The line went halfway through the store. He just needed 2 things. He didn't even bother. He wasn't going to stand in line all that time for 2 things!

Honored Contributor

@sipp We have paper napkins even the nice ones.  I'll trade you a pack for the bananas.  We are wiped clean.  Even the almost spoiled ones.  Smiley Frustrated