Honored Contributor

Re: ENVELOPES FROM PAPER PERSON/MAIL CARRIER

@hckynutjohn    The envelopes are addressed, so I guess enclose your gift/tip, stamp it and mail it. 

Honored Contributor

This is the first time you got these from the letter carrier or paper delivery person?  

It's up to you, how much you think is acceptable.  Or not.

Trusted Contributor

@KingstonsMom : It's the newspaper delivery people who are leaving the envelopes, not the USPS letter carriers. Newspaper delivery people depend on their Christmas tips because they aren't paid a lot to deliver their papers, plus, they have to use their own cars. I don't get the paper anymore, but when I did I always gave the crew a generous holiday tip. Mail people get nothing more than a Christmas card. Letter carriers are very well paid.

Honored Contributor

We ended up canceling our daily paper because the service was so bad with missed or late deliveries.  I'd call to complain and ask for a partial refund.  The publisher would just extend the subscription.  It got to where I had no idea where I stood with them.  We still get a weekly local paper but it gets delivered with our mail.  At one time, I used to leave a container of Christmas cookies and wrapped candies for the mail carrier, but eventually stopped. It was rarely acknowledged so I never knew if the regular carrier received them or if a sub kept them. Then there's the question of if the carrier has diet restrictions so I eventually quit.  I used to bring a couple boxes of Fannie Mae candy to the bank but eventually stopped that too. 

Honored Contributor

We get online newspaper subscriptions so I can't comment on that one.

Are you 100% positive your mail carrier left the envelope and not anyone else? I honestly cannot imagine a Federal employee would risk a well paying job/benefits/pension over a $20 (or whatever) tip knowing full well it is prohibited. JMO 

Honored Contributor

I've never heard of a mailman soliciting for gifts with a self addressed envelope.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

@KingstonsMom : It's the newspaper delivery people who are leaving the envelopes, not the USPS letter carriers. Newspaper delivery people depend on their Christmas tips because they aren't paid a lot to deliver their papers, plus, they have to use their own cars. I don't get the paper anymore, but when I did I always gave the crew a generous holiday tip. Mail people get nothing more than a Christmas card. Letter carriers are very well paid.

Yes, this makes sense about the newspaper delivery person leaving an envelope for a gift, but not the mail person.  

Super Contributor

@fthunt   Not a problem on my end !