Honored Contributor

Re: ENVELOPES FROM PAPER PERSON/MAIL CARRIER

we give our newspaper delivery person $50.

he delivers 3 newspapers to us......the baltimore sun, our local county paper, and the wall street journal.

we do not leave anything anymore for our mail carrier because we have several different ones during the week. when we had a steady one we would give them money or a check.

we give our UPS driver beers/wine.......we love that man! so friendly and goes above and beyond.......always. no helper this year either.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Regular Contributor

As long as I can remember, and even growing up, we got an envelope from every paper carrier we ever had.  It is a low paying job, gas is expensive, and they get up at who knows when to fold, sort and deliver papers.  To me a tip for them is on the top of the list. 

It's not rude for a paper carrier or someone else who does a real service for you.  It's probably rent.

Mail carriers? I think a $20 gift to a food place is fine. It is for a snack, which is ok.  OR a gift card that can't be exchanged for cash and below $20.  At least it used to be that. 

Personally, I think it is inappropriate to give alcohol as a gift to someone as a tip.  

Respected Contributor

Never received envelopes from mail carrier.  When I lived in Calilfornia, we would get them from the garbage collection guys every year.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt 

And the best part is you gave it because you wanted to and felt like he deserved it, not because he solicited for it.

I bet he'll be thrilled to receive his 2 bottles of 'Christmas cheer' again this year and know that you value his service!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I never received an envelope from my mail person.  However, I have no idea these days who my regular person, so no tipping there.  My newspaper guy is awesome.  Great delivery service.  I tip him $20 per month and $40 at Christmas.

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom It never occurred to me that he could accept gifts; but when I

saw the neighbor handing him an envelope (?).....I hollered to him - do you drink wine?   

Big smile - ya

White or red I asked  (bought the box of QVC Advent half bottles for gifts)

I inquired if he'd get in trouble - he said - NO ....the top brass all get a bonus - so they can't object much.

LOL

Trusted Contributor

@KingstonsMom  I'm with you.  Anyone that would leave an envelope to solicit a tip or gift would not get one from me.  I think it's rude.

As for my mail carrier, we've had the same one for several years in my neighborhood.  I handed him a little gift bag the other day with some chocolates and a $25 gas gift card.  I figured he probably gets tons of coffee cards so thought the gas card might come in handy, especially with the price of gas these days.  He was very appreciative and left a thank you note in my mailbox the very next day.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I get an envelope from my newspaper carrier every year...never thought twice about it.  I put money in it and a stamp and mail back..he has his address on front of envelope..Let's be nice people and think about the  people that make our lives easier...I also gift the mail carrier, and trash people with cookie tins from Costco.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't blame them for leaving an envelope.  Maybe they just want you to know that you can gift them if you'd like to.  I never used to give my paper person a gift, I haven't gotten "the paper" in many years anyway.  When we had our house we had the same mail person forever and she was the best.  Any packages she would secure for us on our side porch and when we were away and had our mail held she was always right there the day we returned with a big box of mail.    Really nice lady, we gave her  $25 gift cards every Christmas for her attention to detail, something lacking these days.

Now we are in a townhouse and have a mail room so we never see our mail person.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus    My understanding is that $20 is the limit for the mail carrier. The woman who services our neighborhood is excellent - I've never offered her less and when I was snowbirding, I sometimes gifted her before I left for the season.

I assume you can do whatever feels good for the paper delivery-  more or less.