Respected Contributor

Re: *EASY* Get Rid of ONE THING Everyday! Easy & Motivating. 1Thing Leads to Another...

@FlyersGirl    One thing I found out.  If you donate pillows, if there is even the slightest stain or discoloration, our Christian Charity store will not take them .  I also wanted to donate a very expensive cushioned bench.  I had spilled coffee on it and it stained the cushioned top.  They would not take it because of the stain. 

I may try and check Goodwill and see if they want it.  Someone more talented than I could easily make a slipcover for it.

Respected Contributor

Re: *EASY* Get Rid of ONE THING Everyday! Easy & Motivating. 1Thing Leads to Another...

My husband is a huge collector of many things.  Sports memorbilia, comic books, hess trucks, celebrity autographs (he has a replica of chitty chitty bang bang car signed by ****** Van ****** and a Genie bottle replica signed by Barbara Eden)...the list goes on and on.  40 plus years of it.  He actually decided to start getting rid of stuff and sold things on EBAY.  He's made over $5,000.  The attic is practically empty!  Though he did go out and purchase an Avengers pinball machine.  

Honored Contributor

The clear bins have been out of stock in my nearby-local 'T' stores.

I would love to 'store away' many items that I'm not sure about tossing away/donating/etc.

Just having them in the house in clear bins in my garage would be my first step.  At least most of my out of season items.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Contributor

@Solar Is My Name wrote:

A few years ago I did the simplifying, clean out, clear out "MINS GAME" in which whatever date it was on the monthly calendar was the exact number of things that I gave away or threw away that day. (Ex: 1 thing on the first of the month, 2 things on the second...31 things on the 31ST!!)

Much that I had been holding on to got the boot! But now I'm taking it a lot easier:

Using the **TECHNIQUE OF GETTING RID OF ONE THING EACH DAY** as the goal.

I enjoy that once I find ONE thing, I often find FOUR things to say GOOD-BYE TO!

This is the easiest technique I have found to STICK WITH simplifying!

What techniques have you found?

Best wishes to you!

Great tip @Solar Is My Name !

thanks!👍

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Into the recycle box:1 red sweater and 1 black sweater. 

Went through my old paper files, and threw out about 30-40 pages of info I no longer needed, or (here's the hard part) some were memories  i.e. places I had been or old letters. 

Honored Contributor

Here's a thought too:  If you had to go and live in a tent, what would you take with you?  Does that help?

Honored Contributor

@Solar Is My Name wrote:

SO yesterday I was home and used the time to try on and wear for at least 45 minutes EACH pair of shoes that I was "iffy" about. The cut (for athletic and around-the-house shoes) is "ARE THESE SHOES COMFORTABLE OR DO THEY AGGRAVATE MY FEET/TOES/ANKLES etc.?" Foot injuries are REAL, and one can set them up by simply wearing ill-fitting shoes.

Three pair of shoes got "the boot" Smiley Very Happy through this technique.

I did a version of that before I retired. I wore a different pair of shoes to work everyday. If they were uncomfortable at the end of the day, out they went.

WELL, I had a funeral to go to last month. Put on a pair of black leather pumps. OH MY, did not know how they escaped the "purge" of shoes. But just getting ready to leave for the funeral. I thought no way am I wearing these shoes another minute. Into the donation pile they went. I never wore the pumps. Don't know what I was thinking when I bought them.

And as I am changing into warmer clothes, I can not believe all the clothing I have in every season. I rarely wore "nice" clothing this summer. Not sure how much nice clothing I should keep. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@drizzellla 

I know what you mean. Just yesterday I did the shoe season transition.  Oh so many I never touched - dress and casual.  I am embarrassed that I have so many.  I tried to minimize shoes exposed to outside (germs?), so I pretty much kept using same 4 - 6 pairs.  

I think I pulled one pair to donate  - not a huge plus.  Coat drive this weekend, I pulled two.

Esteemed Contributor

5c415bf96386edcc6a176e066bd1f793--minimalist-lifestyle-minimalist-living.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

If I haven't worn and/or used it in a year,  getout.gifit goes.

Everytime I see your eye ball I have the desire to get a squirt gun and shoot it .   LOLOLOLOLOLOL   I was watching a show years ago and they said get a different color hanger and everytime you wear something change the hanger.  Then at the end of the year whatever you haven't worn it goes.  I have been doing that ever since.