Trusted Contributor

Re: *EASY* Get Rid of ONE THING Everyday! Easy & Motivating. 1Thing Leads to Another...

N.U.L. = do you NEED it? Do you USE it? Do you LOVE it?

Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: *EASY* Get Rid of ONE THING Everyday! Easy & Motivating. 1Thing Leads to Another...

I guess that works for people who are hoarders or find it hard to throw anything away.  Getting rid of one thing a day is for the month of September, that would have been 30 things. .  There aren't 30 things in this house that I should get rid of.   My challenge was my closet, which at one time was bulging with clothes.  I had a lot, I just couldn't find anything.  I didn't need a method or a system; I just got serious and got to work. I went through each item and I didn't think about putting things in a bag to donate, which is slippery Slope.   If something didn't fit, out it went.  If something was out of style, out it went.  If I hadn't worn something in 2 years, out it went.  I was holding on to things fhat for one reason or another, I was never going to wear.  Then I arranged what I had by type and color.  I got rid of footwear I was never going to wear and bought 3 clear plastic bins from Amazon.  One for spring/summer shoes;  one for fall/winter shoes and one for boots.  The bins fit nicely into my closet.  It was a lot of work.  I tossed out a lot of stuff but my closet was so beautiful when I finished and it was such a pleasure to see what I owned and to find things that I continued being neat and orderly.  That was three years ago and I still keep my closet door open because I like how it looks.    

Trusted Contributor

"They" say the average American family has 300,000 items in their home.

130 of those seem to be *SOCKS*!

Have you noticed when you try on a pair of your socks and they look worn out or shrunken you look for a better pair to wear and easily go through all your black socks and VOILA! a half dozen pairs are discarded or relegated to the rag bag?! (NO, not all of the discards -- that would be too many to keep -- but a few become rags.)

(Charities cannot accept already worn socks.)

HAPPY OCTOBER, EVERYONE!   HAPPY DISCARDING! Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I cleaned dresser drawers and closet this week and have a couple more bags of things to take to donation to add to the one i have already in the trunk. I love cleaning things out and donating.Woman Happy Once I get started I keep going! It has taken me months though during the pandemic to even start. I kept thinking I would get so much done but havent until this week lol. 

Honored Contributor

Got rid of some very old DVD's.  All the films can be seen numerous times on all the channels that now show movies.  I have a box of cassettes.  I have a radio that will play them.  I have Sirius now and and can hear all sorts of that music. I think on some of this stuff I can hear the words, you'll have to pull it out of my cold dead hands. LOL 

Trusted Contributor

SO yesterday I was home and used the time to try on and wear for at least 45 minutes EACH pair of shoes that I was "iffy" about. The cut (for athletic and around-the-house shoes) is "ARE THESE SHOES COMFORTABLE OR DO THEY AGGRAVATE MY FEET/TOES/ANKLES etc.?" Foot injuries are REAL, and one can set them up by simply wearing ill-fitting shoes.

Three pair of shoes got "the boot" Smiley Very Happy through this technique.

Respected Contributor

@Solar Is My Name 

I like the shoe idea. I'm going to start today with my shoes. -t 45 mins in each pair; it may take me several weeks 😂! Its freeing to get rid of a lot of stuff that's just hanging around. I don't have a problem discarding things. I've been wearing all my old ill fitting clothes during the pandemic and then discarding them. I also use them as rags. Every little counts. I love the day of the month discard count! Do I dare? 😂 

Esteemed Contributor

After I saw my nephew back huge dumpsters up to his Mom's house and start throwing everythig but family photos in it.....I asked myself what was I saving some of my stuff for.....

I had a talk with my daughter and found out what she will keep of mine and the rest will all go.....I decided then to get rid of all the stuff no one wants ...that just clutters up storage room...

I just tossed out a few bins of Halloween stuff. Most donation places won't take VHS tapes, books, Christmas decorations and old sets of dishes anyway.

Trusted Contributor

I had Green Drop pick up items at my house today. You can designate where you want your donations to go: Purple Heart, Red Cross, others (I think the choices may depend on the area that you live in). Anyway, I am listing the items that they will take below, as I see some of our posters may have some of these items that they want to purge and are not sure if they will be accepted (like books DVDs etc). It is very convenient as all I have to do is schedule the pickup and leave the items on my front porch for them to pick up. And if you are not sure if they will take an item, just call for info.

Acceptable GreenDrop donation items include the following:

Clothing & Shoes

All men’s, women’s, children and infant clothing including outerwear, underwear, shoes and boots, jackets, ties, shirts, dresses, blouses, sweaters, pants, hats, gloves, handbags, purses, raincoats and overcoats, swimsuits, sandals, shorts, sleepwear, jeans, T-shirts and formal wear.

Household Items

Cosmetics and toiletries (unopened), eyeglasses and sunglasses, artificial flowers and trees, umbrellas, yarns and material, knick-knacks, antiques,  jewelry, luggage, buttons, musical instruments, towels, area rugs-6x9 or smaller, Christmas and seasonal decorations, novelties, framed pictures and paintings, yard tools, hardware tools, bedding, draperies, blankets, bedspreads, quilts, sheets, pillows and pillowcases.

Kitchenware

Cookware and bakeware, dishes, utensils, flatware, silverware, pots and pans, Tupperware, glasses and cups, serving plates and trays, and canning jars.

Games/Toys

Fisher-Price and Little Tikes items, bicycles, tricycles, board and other games, stuffed animals, software for PlayStation, Xbox, and Wii.

Small Appliances

Irons and ironing boards, sewing machines, microwaves, clocks, hairdryers, electric griddles, blenders, coffee makers and toasters.  

Electronics

Flat-screen TV's, computer items including towers, printers, flat-screen monitors, hard drives, software and accessories, telephones, smartphones, answering machines, portable copiers, fax machines, calculators, stereos, DVD players, video cameras and equipment and radios. 

Sporting Goods

Camping equipment, roller blades, ice skates, golf clubs, baseball, football, basketball, ice hockey, soccer, tennis, lacrosse equipment and accessories, skiing equipment and boots and fitness items.

Books, CDs & Videos

Hardback, paperback and children’s books, CDs, DVDs, Blue Ray movies, electronics, books and record albums.

Small Furniture

Solid wood furniture weighing less than 50 pounds such as end tables, coffee tables, lamps, nightstands, wooden chairs, rocking chairs, stools, and plant stands.

Respected Contributor

After thinkimg about getting rid of things I no longer used or needed, I finally got rid of a few things, a very few things. Put in give away box: pjs which were not cotton and caused me to wake up in the winter, sweating my guts out; a pair of old pink shorts;  short sleeved t shirt and a sthirt that had 3/4 length sleeves. I like either short sleeves or long sleeves, nothing in between. Don't know why I ever bought it.