Honored Contributor

Re: *EASY* Get Rid of ONE THING Everyday! Easy & Motivating. 1Thing Leads to Another...

@Solar Is My Name : Kudos to you for being able to get rid of 31 things on the 31st of the month! I'm going to try for one per day, lol. It's a great idea!

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: *EASY* Get Rid of ONE THING Everyday! Easy & Motivating. 1Thing Leads to Another...

A coffee or tea break paired with finding one item to say GOODBYE to is a perfect match! Productive down time!

Honored Contributor

Goodness, I can't imagine getting rid of something every day or even more up to 31 items a month.

My house would be empty in a few months.  I'd rather just not buy or bring things home.  I rarely buy anything that can't be consumed or used up.

Honored Contributor

@Solar Is My Name   Since almost everything I own is now packed up until repairs/painting is completed, I plan to unpack "thoughtfully" & not keep anything I can do without, don't absolutely love, etc. I think I'll be donating/selling more than I keep.

Valued Contributor

But I might need it someday!!!  That is very true for most people. Due to some health issues over the past 3 to 4 years my weight keeps changing. Up & down. I got rid of some clothes I actually could use right now.I over did the clean out! I have started & will continue to par down my small clothes. I don't think I'll need them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've done this and continue to do this and yet................ LOL

Keep in mind, I'm older and been married a long time.  

Honored Contributor

Since we moved, it has become a lot easier.  I am to the point that I am all in with Marie Kondo--if it doesn't spark joy, let go of it.

I spent liiterally 17years cleaning out my aunt's house (they have lived there since the 1940's and she kept everything), my mom's house and our house to move. My greatest joy in life is that I don't get up every day thinking about getting rid of stuff.

My advice is keep your life simple, live with less excess stuff (think about your kitchen drawers and cabinets!) and for me, getting rid of any thought of hobbies and crafts was the first step.  Not for all, but for ME that was a good thing.  I don't miss it. 

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus one time we were having a lot done in our kitchen. I put most kitchen things on the covered porch. Then I only retreived an item when we needed to use it. After a month -- whatever we hadn't used got an exam...hmm..."OFF WITH YOU!" The women's abuse center thrift store was especially happy to receive great conditon glass Pyrex bakers etc. 

Trusted Contributor

@qualitygal I hear ya! I'm an old married too! Smiley Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie I even "count" getting rid of old files of papers that I don't need for taxes, also files of receipts that are no longer valid for returns, as well as files of expired warranties etc. An old pile of magazines and catalogs that no one consults "counts" too! Smiley Wink