Honored Contributor

Dyson Big Ball 2 tier radical cyclone canister vacuum

[ Edited ]

If you have this vacuum, could you let me know if it is good for a dog friendly home with wall to wall carpet low plush.  

I read reviews on it,and it is either a love it or hate it vacuum.  I have the opportunity to purchase a new one in box for $175 dollars.  Do you love it or hate it?

Here is a picture of it

There was an error in fetching this image.

Honored Contributor

Re: Dyson Big Ball 2 tier radical cyclone canister vacuum

I do not have that model. I have a Dyson canister vacuum but it is not the "ball" model. I bought it when we got our collie.

I hate it. Used the vacuum a few times. It was awkward and cumbersome. It has been sitting in my closet for years. But maybe the ball design helped it not be as tough to deal with when you move it around.

The vacuum part was OK. But you only got a little area at a time. It took forever to clean the family room (carpeted). I bought a Hoover Windtunnel MAX P.A.W.S. upright. What a difference. I could vacuum the house (carpeted) in less time that the Dyson took to clean one room. 

The Hoover was great picking up all the fur. Never clogged. It is still going strong after 8 years. 

Good luck whatever you choose.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla  Thankyou. I think even though the price is good....it does not seem to have the great reviews I want to see. I will probably put the $175 towards a new sharp  vacuum down the road.   

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden   Good Morning!  While I don't have a Dyson, I own two of the same model Sharks.  They are uprights that I bought on A.  I have one at each house, that is how much I like them.  Some of the Sharks won't stand up on their own.  I had one like that and returned it.  I like that I can wash the filter and cannister with each use.....no filters to buy.  I am always surprised how much I pick up when I vacuum.  

I tried a Dyson once.  Our church had one and my DH did the cleaning for them.  It was extremely cumbersome.  I would never buy one.  If something were to happen to my Shark, I would order another one in a heartbeat.  HTH

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs  Good Morning!  Thankyou for the input!

I think the good price is making me want to buy it, but, the reviews are changing my mind. I do have a sharp stick that I have had for 5 years...it is  quite good.

Most people say that Dyson is over rated... sometimes putting a high sticker price on a line makes you THINK it will be better.  Not always the case!

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla   I hear yo u on some of these Dyson sweepers being awkward & cumbersome.

I had the very first Dyson ball upright, loved it, had it for YEARS but then it started not working properly. I changed out a few new parts but it still wasn't 'right'. 

I ended up buying a new one, good price from ebay but it's really heavy to move around. It also does not get underneath items like my original one. Like your's it now sits upstairs in a closet - I rarely use it. I have a sweeper on the main floor and now this one for 2nd floor cleaning. Most times I end up taking the other sweeper up the stairs which is not a Dyson but I really do like it.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden   My daughter has one and she never uses it and hates it.  I had a Dyson stick cordless with one Australian Shepard and it clogged anytime I used it.  Vacuums overrated but I love my Dyson hair dryer. 

Honored Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

@SeaMaiden   My daughter has one and she never uses it and hates it.  I had a Dyson stick cordless with one Australian Shepard and it clogged anytime I used it.  Vacuums overrated but I love my Dyson hair dryer. 

@mspatmac  Thankyou for your review. Yes, that  Dyson hairdryer really has fantastic reviews....I just can not figure out how a hairdryer can be so great? It's a hairdryer!😄

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

Dyson has always been out of my price range for buying any vacuum cleaner. My top price is $150 and I have been able to buy all the ones I have bought for less. No way I am going to push around a 16+lb vacuum, when my 6lb. under $100 vacuums work great. 

Looks like most reviews here are negative and Shark owners seem satisfied.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden   I have one and love it but I also have a cordless animal Dyson vac as well as an upright and all are great for animal hair.  I've had the cannister for 10 years and still going strong.  My last dog was a shephard/collie with lots of thick and lush fur and he loved being vacummed daily.  My dog  now is a short hair black dog and those short black hairs are everywhere and any Dyson is great with pet hair.  Also. Dyson has great CS.