Honored Contributor

Re: Drying Clothes Outside....

I grew up in the northeast and I can remember my mom hanging the laundry out to dry, no matter how cold (pretty much). I can remember seeing bedsheets frozen stiff on the line!  I 

Esteemed Contributor

Sweet_Serenity, thanks for the memories.  I just hung out two large loads of laundry.  Sheets and everything else.  My washer is in the basement just a few steps from the patio doors.  I hang out from March until Thanksgiving Day.  After that, it's too cold here in the Midwest.  My neighbor next door hangs out laundry too.  

Trusted Contributor

We lived on the third floor and my Mom would hang all our clothes on the line.  When we needed to replace the clothes line I had to climp a pole, very high, to replace it.  Brought back memories for me.  Also when it was winter she had to bring the clothes inside after hanging out and they were stiff as boards.  I do miss the fresh smells though.  Do put a few pieces out but not much anymore.

Honored Contributor

Yesterday Today: YouTube Channel. If you like nostalgic photography then please make time to visit this fabulous channel. Vintage photography of classic cars and all sorts of things something to see. 

Honored Contributor

I love to hang my sheets out in the summer. I’m retired, and I have the time to indulge in this little luxury. Of course the dryer is more convenient, however some things are worth the extra effort. 🌞

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I remember my mom hanging clothes out to dry in the 60’s. I live in Arizona where they would dry immediately but I live in a city (not an HOA) where clothes lines are not permitted.  I wouldn’t hang them outside anyway. I couldn’t be bothered. Much easier to put them in the dryer. 

Respected Contributor

Occasionally I still see laundry hung outside.  I hang some articles outside.  My laundry closet is outside my master bedroom which has french doors onto a deck.  I put most of my clothes on hangers and then use my tripod drying rack.   Also have hooks screwed into the bottom of the extended roof eave. Sometimes I drap my linens over my deck rails, but have to be careful and watch for any bugs.  Underwear and smaller items still go into the dryer. 

Honored Contributor

While I don't have a clothesline, I dry our sheets in the sunroom that has full windows on three sides. I just drape them over our game table and outdoor furniture, and on a breezy day, they dry in no time. Oh, that fresh scent is lovely!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Hanging clothes on a line is one of my most favorite things.  Mom always had clothes lines in the backyard.  DH put 2 T shaped posts up with 3 long lines in between.  Held a lot of laundry.  I would stand outside and fold things right into the basket they went.

When my hip got bad, no more carrying baskets down porch steps, he attached one of those metal umbrella type lines to my side porch railing.  I could put clothes on my walker seat roll out the back door and hang things up.  It aggrevated my hip, now new, and now my knee but I still try to put things out.

It doesn't take much to make me happy.

Honored Contributor

I grew up late fifties early sixties. Mom had us do chores but not a whole lot of them as she was a stay at home Mom and did them during the day. However we didn’t have a dryer so I had to hang the clothes outside and bring them in. In bad weather they were hung in the basement. 

Since that time I have never had any desire to hang my clothes outside.