Trusted Contributor

normal. that’s how much i’ve been paying 

Respected Contributor

Re: Dry Cleaning Costs

[ Edited ]

I am in small town america.  I don't use dry clean services much.  My last item was a blouse which I reserve to wear to weddings or funerals.  Nothing complicated about it.  It cost me $14 to have it dry cleaned.  I felt that was high, so I'm not sure about @35 for two wool jackets.

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1  Even for Windy City prices I think it's very high. Are the coats full length? Tha may explain the $ if so.

Honored Contributor

Lots of good responses but also....

The way it’s processed and finished out, no matter

what the location, is a HUGE factor.

Many dry cleaners might be more $, but they will use a

padded hanger or special thick wire hanger, depending on

the item, use tissue paper to pad out the sleeves, 

special paper forms for the neckline.  Anyone can do a good

job of cleaning, but the finish out is important.

Respected Contributor

It is about what dry cleaning in our area costs.  I am glad most of the clothes I now have are washable!  When I worked in a professional environment, most of my clothes had to be dry cleaned.  I wore suits, or wool skirts/pants with wool or other dry cleanable jacket/blazer.  Even sweaters needed to be dry cleaned.  What a pain, every Saturday chore to dry cleaners.

Hats off to the current fabrics that are washable, but still good quality.

The only thing I take to the cleaners now are large comforters to be washed in the commercial size machines or drapes that needed cleaned and siezed and I have replaced all of those drapes this year.

Honored Contributor

Update, $18.50 for a wool jacket at our dry cleaners and 21.50 for long wool coats.  Dry cleaning is expensive everywhere.  Of course, people freshen heir coats with the dryer kits now.  We also don't wear our wool coats as often as they did years ago.

Respected Contributor

I just had a knee length wool coat dry cleaned last week.   $20.00 in Santa Fe.   I don't wear it much but it was so wrinkled from being packed away for 3 months and smelled of moth balls.  It was worth it.

Honored Contributor

what about duster length sweaters?  Have you had one cleaned successfully?  It's a wool blend.  Mostly wool.  

Honored Contributor

I am in southern WV, and feel that price is about what I would pay locally.   I paid $35 to clean a king size bedspread in the spring, and $30 to clean a queen size comforter in the fall.    

Honored Contributor

I recently had a wool cardigan sweater dry cleaned.  The cost was $12.

I think $35 for two coats is probably about right if not a bit on the low side in my area.

Because most people do not dry clean garments like they used to, I the cleaners charge more or else they would go out of business,