Esteemed Contributor

turn signal.jpg

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

I always use mine because my car has something on it that has all kinds of alarms if I try to change lanes and someone is in the next lane.  It will jerk me back.

I have two cats.  They keep ME sane...well, they do their best.

Esteemed Contributor

@pattypeep I should get this for my husband, he never uses his blinker and it drives me NUTS, LOL!

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 That's a good gizmo to have. I wish I had one.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

@pattypeep When my son-in-law and daughter drive the car they turn it off but it really is helpful.  There are a lot of safety things built into this car.  Believe me, I need everyone of them...Ha!  A light comes on near the side mirror with a picture of a car and if I start out anyway it beeps.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  I'm curious what kind of car you have.  I know you said the other day, but I don't remember what it was.  I have an Altima, and it beeps if I turn my blinker on and someone is coming up beside me.  My side mirror also lights up when someone is in my blind spot, which is extremely helpful.  It has lots of extras which I love.  I've just never heard of a car that jerked you back if you started to pull over in front of someone.  I think that's great.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack It's a 2017 Acura MDX something or other SUV.  It has everything on it except the stupid video thing!  Ha!  I even had added additionally extra beepers if someone or something is near when I back up.

So, I thought they weren't working when they first put them on.  Then the mechanic said (after I acted all high and mighty) "You see this switch on the side (it's in the back by the hatch) You can turn them off if you want to.  Like if you carry bicycles, etc".  I just said, "No one told me that".  But I felt like a fool.

Memo to self!  Don't go acting all high and mighty because you'll get shot down...

Respected Contributor

We recently test drove a Volvo XC90.  It has Pilot Assist option that helps the driver to drive the car between the road lane whilst at the same time maintaining a preselected time interval to the preceding vehicle. ... Pilot Assist scans the preceding vehicle and the lane markings with the camera and radar unit.  So it steers and brakes for you out on the highway.  The engineering is so automated that won't let you activiate if it cannot sense the lane markings.

It is a strange feeling.  My husband got so apprehensive when we were coming up behind a car at a stop light that he applied the brake instead of letting the car do it.  The dealer kept telling him don't apply the brake.

You do have to activate the Pilot Assist.  Probably we could get accustomed to it when driving the interstates, but using it in regular day to day driving we would be nervous wrecks.

Super Contributor

I always use my turn signals ~ it is just a reflexive habit for me.

♥chocolate lover ♦ audiobook junkie♥
Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I always use mine because my car has something on it that has all kinds of alarms if I try to change lanes and someone is in the next lane.  It will jerk me back.

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 I got rid of my 2013 camry to get all the safety features on my new 2017 camry.  I love the back up light camera and alarm.  Toyota didn't have the alarm feature on the backup camera on the 2013.  Now when the DC area idiots race past me when I'm 90 percent out of a parking space an alarm goes off.  Best feature of all on that car along with the side mirror that lights up when there's somebody in my blind spot.  Cars should of had that a long time ago.