Respected Contributor

I just saw on my local news that a funeral home in my area that used to be a bank is using the drive up window for viewings.  The open casket is placed in the window and mourners can drive passed and pay their respects.  It has to be the weirdest thing I've saw.

Trusted Contributor

Good Lord, Ι find it creepy!

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Honored Contributor

@ninjawife ....That is just VERY ODD.  I don't even want a service so a drive by viewing would not even be a passing thought.

Honored Contributor

I hope they took memorial donations via the bank's pneumatic tube.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@ninjawife ....That is just VERY ODD.  I don't even want a service so a drive by viewing would not even be a passing thought.

@Mom2Dogs Great pun!!!!  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

If it is what helps the family members heal their hearts and their grief I would dom that.  SO much of the service, actually all of it is, to healp the family heal as it should be.  Other people may not be comfortable with open or closed casket.

I'm gone.  I'll support what my family feels they need.

Respected Contributor

This has been going on in Chicago for at least twenty years. 

Respected Contributor

I have never wanted a funeral and don't want people to see me dead.  Come see or call me when I am alive.  I remember in the olden days a funeral was a big deal in the south and people would go who had not see the person in years.  However, my sister died in January and there was no service per her request and she was cremated.  My mind just tells we have not spoken in a while and I can still picture her alive in her house.  It just has not sunken in that she is gone.  It seems there was no ending... I think if you want to drive by and see the body it can be a very personal experience as you will be in your car and can grieve privately.  I think if it is an available service you can make the choice to go or not go.  

Respected Contributor

@chiclet 

Agree 100%, no funerals for me or DH.
By the time I was 15, I'd probably been to two dozen funerals. 

Honored Contributor

It seems like the bank's drive-up window would be too high for a viewing.  People sitting in their cars would have to look up at the body.