Honored Contributor

Re: Downy Woodpecker At Hummingbird Feeder

I live in the country ,lots of woods just love hearing the woodpeckers.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@NickNack 

I have a yard full of woodpeckers!  I hear them around late afternoon -- I just wonder what is bringing them?  They've been "visiting" me almost everyday.  Some have "blue" headress 

(The neighbor had a pine tree that the bark is now completely gone!  They had to end up removing it because it was dead)

Here are a few pics:  

IMG_2995.JPG

IMG_2997.JPG

Tonight its a turtle ....its like the wildneress in my backyard!'

@homedecor1  Beautiful pictures of pileated fellows...they are so gorgeous!  What a treasure they are to have in our environments.....I too am fortunate to have them visit!

Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Hooty wrote:

@NickNack , I have no idea what a downy wood pecker is, but there was a beautiful wood pecker visiting my bird bath this morning, its colors were so vibrant!

@Hooty   This is a downy woodpecker.  It's the smallest woodpecker.  I love them.

Downy_Woodpecker_b52-1-171_l_1.jpg

So Beautuful!!!!

Contributor

Oh how I love hummingbirds! They are magical!

Trusted Contributor

@NickNack 

Both the large & the downy ones visit our back yard each winter.  They love the suet.  However, this past winter, I think the raccoons & squirrels kept stealing the suet feeders.  Makes me mad because I love looking at the woodpeckers (and all our bird friends) as well.

They're especially vibrant against all of the winter white & dark tree trunks.  IMO, they create some of the most striking winter pics.

Honored Contributor

@ScenicMaine wrote:

@NickNack 

Both the large & the downy ones visit our back yard each winter.  They love the suet.  However, this past winter, I think the raccoons & squirrels kept stealing the suet feeders.  Makes me mad because I love looking at the woodpeckers (and all our bird friends) as well.

They're especially vibrant against all of the winter white & dark tree trunks.  IMO, they create some of the most striking winter pics.

@ScenicMaine   Are your feeders on poles?  If so, you can get raccoon guards to put on the poles.  They will keep the squirrels and raccoons away.  You can get them at Wild Birds Unlimited, and they will show you how to use them.  I have one on my feeders that are on poles.  For the feeder I have that is too near the trees for the guards to work, I have a large squirrel buster feeder.  It really works.

Here's a picture of bird feeders with a raccoon guard.

750-9-diy-squirrel-raccoon-bird-feeder-guard.jpg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

@NickNack 

Thank you for posting about the raccoon guard.  I've never heard of them but will look them up.

I've got to find something to deter the theft of the suet feeders & food in the bird feeders.

Honored Contributor

@ScenicMaine wrote:

@NickNack 

Thank you for posting about the raccoon guard.  I've never heard of them but will look them up.

I've got to find something to deter the theft of the suet feeders & food in the bird feeders.

@ScenicMaine   It's very important that you buy the type that look like what I posted.  There's a saucer type, too, but they don't work as well.  Also, make sure it's a racoon guard and not a squirrel guard.  Raccoons can get over the squirrel guards.  The best thing to do is go to Wild Birds Unlimited and buy it there.  It will save you alot of money on your expensive seed and suet.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also have a Downy at my Oriole feeder lately and he apparently loves the grape jelly !!!!

Trusted Contributor

@ScarletDoveLove your pics, are those Pilated Woodpeckers, they are beautiful !!!!